Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road
Default isopropyl alcohol filter

I'm looking for some ideas from you guys. I'm in the process of building a kind of automated parts washer which uses isopropyl alcohol as it's only solvent. The system works on a volume principal, very similar to a dishwasher, and has a sump system, very similar to an aquarium. The sump will have a mechanical filter to remove larger particular but because it's not pressurized the fluid relies on gravity alone to be forced through the media so it is limited. The alcohol will eventually become contaminated with small particles and oil. The volume of the system will be between 5 and 10 gallons, I'm aiming for as little as possible.

What I'm currently working on is a way to extend the life of the alcohol to reduce cost and of course environmental impact. So besides distillation anyone got any ideas on a filtration system? The system will be separate and filter the alcohol when the parts washer is not in use, as required. I would like to still use the same pump which is a Panworld 250PS-F, max head 45ft, max flow 1900gph.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-22-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Got a old cannister filter hanging around? you could use it a both a supply pump and filter.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 AM

probably going to need a little more than that. Main concern is removing the oil and other dissolved containment.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Why alcohol? wont the evap. rate be really high? Going to be tough to remove the oil I would think as it would be totally mixed with the Alc.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

We have some man made fiber "mats" at work that will pick up oil and not water. Made for oil spills to clean up the environment. I don't know what it would do with the alcohol, but maybe persue something along those lines.
I have one of those mats at home, but do not have isopropanol. Otherwise I would test it out for you
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Why alcohol? wont the evap. rate be really high? Going to be tough to remove the oil I would think as it would be totally mixed with the Alc.
We have to use alcohol in preparation for strain gauge mounting (transducers). The washer and sump system are completely sealed and vented together. After the washing cycle the sump connections are sealed and the loss through evaporation is small.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
We have some man made fiber "mats" at work that will pick up oil and not water. Made for oil spills to clean up the environment. I don't know what it would do with the alcohol, but maybe persue something along those lines.
I have one of those mats at home, but do not have isopropanol. Otherwise I would test it out for you
Similar to "adsorb-it"? Do you know where you source it? I'd be interested in trying it but yeah I'm uncertain how it will work with the alcohol since it actually dissolves the oil unlike water.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 AM

Buzz is on a distinguished road

For the mats you can get them at CE franklin, Midfield or and oilfield supply store there are mats that will only adhere to hydrocarbons so it will strip the oil out. There a also socks that do the same thing they only absorb oil water will pass right through.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 AM

Cool! I'll source some tomorrow and try them out. In the mean time more ideas please

I've heard of people using sand filters to remove oil efficiently, any experience?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Build a separator. As long as the particles are heavier then the alcohol they should drop out given the right conditions to do so. No mechanical filtration needed. Just let gravity do it's job and all you need is 2 baffles. Just have to size in correctly?