Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 12-06-2008, 10:35 PM

theredben is on a distinguished road
Default LF: Mysid Cultures

Does anyone around the lower mainland have any live mysid cultures, or an order coming in on a regular basis that I could piggyback on? I am thinking of picking up some cuttlefish for myself and need some live food to start with.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

iam pretty sure you wont find any live mysis, i tryed some cuttles myself, i tried to feed them live enriched brine shrimp but they still died, the only two options i have found is either look around white rock for live shrimps of some kind, or try and get some freshwater mysis, but i cant go all the way to kamloops for mysis, or whiterock for that matter, so i have given up on cuttles
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default Mysid shrimp culture

if your sump is decent sized fill it up with liverocks and algae. in less time than you think it'll be crawling with scuds, amphipods and mysis. i have a cuttlefish from king ed pet that has grown more than 3x without any direct feeding. you can always substitute a large plastic pail or tote and grow these creepy crawlies yourself.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferious View Post
if your sump is decent sized fill it up with liverocks and algae. in less time than you think it'll be crawling with scuds, amphipods and mysis. i have a cuttlefish from king ed pet that has grown more than 3x without any direct feeding. you can always substitute a large plastic pail or tote and grow these creepy crawlies yourself.
Reeferious - That may have worked for you with a older specimen, but the cuttlefish I will be getting are newly hatched and I don't want to let it loose in the whole tank for fear of losing them.

Nanoreefer - I have done the whole drive out to white rock and pick up some live food before, but I was hoping I could tag along with someone else's order of mysid shrimp to cut down on cost.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hijack but just out of curiosity....what live foods come from Whiterock?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 AM

If you go out to Crescent Beach at low tide and turn over some seaweed or large rocks, you can find an assortment of crabs, gobies, and most importantly amphipod sized crustaceans. I always found Blackies Spit to be the easiest.