Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Dolf is on a distinguished road
Default two displays, 3 surges, 2 sumps, 2 refugiums (or how to flood a basement?)

Well, Like the title says, the plan is for two displays (a 180 that is currently going) and a 70 that is cycling with some live rock. There is a 75 Gal refugium that will sit under it and a 65 Gal for grass that will sit off to the side. Two 55 gal sumps plumbed together will let the water level increase and decrease as the three 33 gal surge tanks fill. There will be a 10 Gal somewhere that will house an algal turf scrubber. I will post pictures as I take them (yah, I should upload the ones from today...) I was not going to do pictures origionally because I worry that while it is half finished (or a masterpiece in progress as I want to call it) that it will look ugly. Well, anyhow, I decided that being as most people on this board don't do DSB's, ATS's surges etc that I would put up some pictures.

As of now the 180 is running, the 70 is cycling, two of the surges are drilled and tested (one Bourneman and one Carlson device) the 75 gal has been resealed and one of the 55's is getting the silicone stripped. Right now the only thing that I have on the computer is the plan that I did in paint before modifications. You will get the idea, anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aquariums.JPG (28.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

You do carry flood insurance don't you?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

wow that is a maze of plumbing I can't wait to see some real Pics!

Last edited by subman; 04-16-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: me can't spell
Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow .. can't wait to see this unfold. My old tank has a new lease of life! I love it!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

danny when can i come over to see this masterpiece in progress

its going to be insane, when its up and running.

more pics would be nice
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Well, by demand, here is the start.
Borneman surge after test

Carlson during surge (see the water overflowing?)

By those pictures can you tell why my neighbours love me? I brought in my 16 000 lb excavator last year to spread 5 yards of topsoil. Yeah, I could have done it by hand- but it was more fun with a machine. The neighbours, of course, loved me for it...

The right side of the 180 as it appeared a couple of months back (since changed)

And the left side

Now for the 75 gal (during resealing) Thanks for the experience Delphinus... Now just one more 55 gal to do and I'm golden.

And the old silicone

You have to love the old sticky tile from the 70's

Last edited by Dolf; 04-16-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
Thanks for the experience Delphinus...
Sorry man..

The surge looks freakin' AWESOME! I can't wait to see what it's like when it's set up in the tank for real..

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-16-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I really have regrets about not being able to do a surge! I wanted one for my failed 400g but it just doesn't work in the livingroom with open top. Wish you were my neighbor. If I saw anyone next to me playing with tanks in the yard I'd be over bugging them in no time!

Can't wait to see some videos of those in action. Nice work.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

What size pump are you planning to fill the surge devices with?

Are you using any electronic controls or will they simply "fire when ready" ?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sorry man..

No problem- you told me it had a small leak and I think it was free; it was my choice to do this- it is actually no where near as bad a job as I thought it would be. Actually, the 55 is from another member who gave me a tank last week because it leaked- and I already know what I am getting into. You can't beat a free tank if you just put in a couple of hours work...

If I were to do the whole thing over I think I would post a “wanted to buy: leaking tanks” ad and set up the system for nothing (or near to it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
What size pump are you planning to fill the surge devices with?

Are you using any electronic controls or will they simply "fire when ready" ?
The surges are very simple- the one “fires” when a float lifts a toilet flapper- the other one is a siphon that goes off just after the water level covers the top. No electronics- nothing to go wrong (though they will each have an overflow in case the flapper becomes stuck or the siphon fails to start.) As for pumps; right now I have a little giant 3 (thanks again to Delphinus; I think I bought his old system...) a Sedra 7000 and a Sedra 5000 as well as an (ocean runner?) 2500 or 3500 left over from my last set up. I may get a larger pump to return to all of the surges in the day and have them go off more often and then hook up a smaller pump to two of the surges for the night time for relative calm. Or???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I really have regrets about not being able to do a surge! I wanted one for my failed 400g but it just doesn't work in the livingroom with open top. Wish you were my neighbor. If I saw anyone next to me playing with tanks in the yard I'd be over bugging them in no time!

Can't wait to see some videos of those in action. Nice work.
Thanks: It would be interesting to have somebody else around who plays with saltwater. I don't know about video- I had a hard enough time figuring out posting pictures and have no video camera (the camera is a SLR- no video function.)

Sure a surge would work for the tank in the living room. Just drill holes in the roof, put a couple of hundred of gallons of water in the attic, pray it does not leak, drill holes in the floor to a sump in the basement, and then run massive pumps to lift the water to the surges. All done; problem solved. You know, perhaps that would not be a good idea...