Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Dog chemo

Anyone given their dog chemotherapy? Our old girl has just been diagnosed with Lymhoma. Not sure what stage though. She is 12yrs. old this summer. Currently on Prednisone, which I gather suppresses her immune system somewhat as it was in overdrive.

Seems even with the chemo her longevity outlook is not that great at that age. Our vet said if not chemo, then the steroid, {at a milder level} to help her as long as possible.

Anyways just wondering what others have done in a similar case. I certainly wont let her suffer at all. I owe her that for all her years of friendship.
Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I don't know anything about it, but I had a Lymphoma scare with my dog recently. Good luck with it.

www.pets.ca forums are really good.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Hey Doug sorry to hear about this, you could take her to a Naturopathic Vet to see if there is any alternative treatments availiable.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

Depending on the breed it may be time to say goodbye, and put her down. I know it is a hard decision to do, but you may have to do what is best for the dog.

I think at 12 I would stay away from chemo, and go the steroid route to see how she responds, and give you both (you & the dog) some time together.

I ahve had several pets over the years, and have had to say good bye several times, and it is always difficult.

All I can really say it is your decision on what to do, and you just ahve to do what is best for yourself and the dog.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

We had a cat with Lymphoma. About the same age. After 2 years of Chemo the cancer had spread. It was a very sad day.
I would have to say, though, his last 2 years during the chemo he was very happy and healthy in appearance. I'm not sure I would go through that again, as the expense was crazy and in our experience the result was not good.
I don't regret doing it as this cat was my wife's baby

J
Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I'd also get a second opinion if you can swing it. Unless you truly trust your vet.

I had a cancer scare with my cocker; the bills went through the roof for all the testing and drugs. I came within a few hours of putting him down when I decided to get another opinion. $30.00 in antibiotics cured his aspirated pneumonia. Today he is alive and happy ( he has other issues but still happy ) and has a different vet.

Last edited by Parker; 04-29-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Well, barring expense (which is pretty high) chemo in pets is not the hell it is for people. You rarely see such terrible side effects and other than sometimes the first day or day after each treatment most pets feel themselves.
What most chemo in pets does is buy time, and as your dog is 12 allready, there is the possibility you can get almost or as much time left with her as you would have had if she had not gotten lymphoma. I've seen animals going through chemo (not my own, but patients in our vet hospital) and you really wouldn't know it unless the owner told you.
I understand if you can't do it for financial reasons but if you're thinking you'll make her suffer by "putting her through chemo" that's just not the case. I hope this helps, and I'm so sorry for what you're going through right now.

Ps: steroids can also buy you time but given in high doses present their own set of unpleasant side effects that you (or your carpet) may not enjoy.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post
Depending on the breed it may be time to say goodbye, and put her down. I know it is a hard decision to do, but you may have to do what is best for the dog.

I think at 12 I would stay away from chemo, and go the steroid route to see how she responds, and give you both (you & the dog) some time together.

I ahve had several pets over the years, and have had to say good bye several times, and it is always difficult.

All I can really say it is your decision on what to do, and you just ahve to do what is best for yourself and the dog.

As much as i hate to say it but i agree. 12 is a very good age for a dog to reach.

IMO as much as i love my hounds i could not justify the expense. esspecially when a new dog would be a fraction of the cost of CHEMO. this is relitivly cold i know and i am sorry but as much as i understand a dog being a part of the family i think it is also important to remember that it is after all a pet. sorry for this mentality but we had to put one of our dogs down at christmas last year. it wasnt easy but it WAS for the best. he was blind arthritic and 13.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post

Thats our plan so far but still a few days to change our mind if going with chemo.

Thanks for all the advice everyone and the link Myka.

I trust this particular vet Parker. He has been her doc since her baby shots.

I see the results already from the steroids Keri, but only outside so far. She drinks a lot of water now and its has to go somewhere. At least she now has some energy & an appetite back.

On another note, I consider my fish pets and our budgies were pets. Kia is our companion and friend. I know we relate their feelings in human terms but other pets dont try to make you feel better when sad or not feeling good. They dont look at you with those eyes, like they actually know what your saying or willing to risk their own well being for yours.

I guess its harder when spending so much time with her as we have since retiring. Or at least it seems so, compared with the times when we were working & younger, raising a family.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, thanks for the advice.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Doug, my sincere sympathies. Remember one thing though, it won't be any easier two years from now, than it is today. I'd stick with the predisone and give the girl some quality time.