Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road
Default Information sources...

Does anyone have one particular website that they can say has the most current and truthful information?

Because everywhere I go I find different information that contradics the previous website! I understand that there are a variety of different lets say for instance ToadStools. But honestly there should be some source out there that will show you a picture, give you a scientific name, and tell you how to take care of the darn thing.

How are we supposed to take something that belongs in the sea and put it into this little glass box and expect it to survive, without a good source of information avaliable (preferably free).

Sorry about the rant.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Best information sources IMO

Best book: Robert Fenner, The Conscientious Reef Aquarist

Best site: www.wetwebmedia.com and here.

There are many others as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Best coral book is Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman, by a long shot. Best general marine aquarium book is The Reef Aquarium series (particularly #3) by Delbeek and Sprung. But yes, best beginner's book is Robert Fenner's I agree. I've read just about every reef aquarium book there is! Most of them are, quite frankly, only of marginal benefit.

Best website is probably Reef Central (hope I don't get in trouble for saying that!). Just for the wealth of info, though. By far the nicest people are on here! (and I'm not just saying that!)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Oh yes, one caveat though - a lot of what you read on any forum website is just an individual's personal opinion or experience and must be taken with a grain of salt. But the more people you get saying the same thing, the more likely it is to be true, I guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
Oh yes, one caveat though - a lot of what you read on any forum website is just an individual's personal opinion or experience and must be taken with a grain of salt. But the more people you get saying the same thing, the more likely it is to be true, I guess.
Or more people are just repeating what they read without any practical experience. For a reference I'd probably stay away from posts in a forum.

Another good book for the list is the Marine Atlas by Debelius/Baensch
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I prefer a good book (I have 16... not all good) over most websites and certainly over the opinions of the majority of people on forums.

If you have any water chemisty questions these articles by Randy Holmes Farley are unbeatable http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605

For overal tank setup and management I'm a big fan of the Reef Aquarium Vol 3 by Delbeek and Sprung as well.

For coral care I dont generally look at websites either. Borneman's Aquarium Corals is also my favorite.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/index.php has some more really good in-depth articles on various subjects and its easy to find them on this index page.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Or more people are just repeating what they read without any practical experience. For a reference I'd probably stay away from posts in a forum.

Another good book for the list is the Marine Atlas by Debelius/Baensch
In general I agree, but for something like "is this a good protein skimmer?", one can only rely on the experiences of others since there are no formal reviews or research on such things, in general. But yes, as far as advice on how to keep your reef, you're far better off going with a published and researched source.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:18 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

^ sure, I agree totally if you want an opinion or suggestion, forums are great. That why I'm here and on other sites. To be able to put up a post and get a reply from around the world, this internet thing is amazing.

Now for some things where the answer can have a big impact on a decision, like how big does that sweetlips grow, it's like asking the 16yr old at the LFS, not saying the answer is wrong but you take your chances. I'll look into a book or on-line reference.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

sweetlips max out at about 1-2". FACT.

I really like going to a massive user pool when it comes to finding equipment reviews. For cases where I have a question and don't want to be buried in posts within 5 min and want a longer-term conversation our forum is much better I think.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Anyone like the Scott W. Michaels book?