Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 AM

rickwaines is on a distinguished road
Default Palliative Volunteer needs UV Sterilizer

I am new to this site but have been fairly active over at the BCA site. I have kept freshwater but am about to undertake a SW tank.
In the meantime, I am a volunteer on a Palliative care ward with a tank that has an green water algae problem. I may be taking over the maintenance of this tank. I have a plan that includes waterchanges, improved media, checking lighting times and auto feeder amounts. The main issue though is that this tank is on a ward where people are dealing with end of life issues and the tank needs to be a relaxing place to visit, not an eyesore to avoid. So, in the interest of getting it under control as fast as possible I am looking to borrow a uv sterilizer for a week or two. I would prefer an in tank model as placing it in-line is a more permanent solution. But, I am relying on someones generosity so I won't be too picky.

Thanks, in advance, Rick
Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

How big of a tank? FW or SW?

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 AM

fw 70 g ish
Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default sterilizer

i have one you can borrow-but with the water being so green you probably have a lot of sunlight on the tank
Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

uv is usually used to treat bacterial blooms (white cloudy water) or water borne fish diseases/virus that may exist.

if th tank isnt by a light (like how monocus mentioned) its probably an issue with the tank recieving light 100% of the time. i am guessing its in a well lite hallway with regular florescent blulbs which is great for algae growth. This probably isnt possible but if there is a social room or something that actually gets dark at night i would ask to move the tank there or this will constantly be an issue.

Maybe someone on here could give you an old phosban reactor as well. GFO (granular ferric oxide) will help more than UV would. If i had a spare i would ship it to you but i dont, sorry
Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM

ahhhh haaaaa, the flourescent lights in the hallway! That makes sense. No sunlight hits it. And thanks for the info regarding UV. Perhaps what I really need is to either move the tank or have it covered at night and proceed with my more straight forward plan.

Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted.