Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road
Default good ol' cyano Q's

so I'm fighting some pretty bad cyano on the 120g. I just used a scraper and a net and pretty much took off the top layer of my subtrate. i plan on cutting my mh lights for the next couple of days and wondering if its ok to run my actinics or should i do a total black out. ive also cut my feeding down but also wondering if there is anything else i should do? i dont want to add any chemicals unless its a last resort. just checked my levels and they all are perfect but the cyano is prolly effecting the tests.i was thinking of running my phosban reactor but 1 of the orings is toast so thats out of the question. I am open to sugestions if anyone has any!

cheers
Ray
Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

total black out for 3-4 days does the trick with 2 decent water changes before and after. also run carbon
Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 AM

nanmer is on a distinguished road

I had a real problem with cyno. Tried everything. In the end bought a better power head and it cured it in days. Thecure was in front of my eyes all the time!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 AM

i have pretty decent flow . i have a tunze 6105 wavemaker and a korilia 3. im thinking of adding a korilia 4. I started off with a couple mj-1200's(came with the tank) and hated them. do you think if i moved my korila 3 to work the lower part of my tank would do the job or should i use the 4 to do that? also did you find you had a little sand storm going on?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 AM

Sounds like you have fairly good flow. Perhaps if you targeted a certain area of the rocks and gave them a good blast for a little while. I had some fairly large rocks and found that moving the power head around on them peeled the cyno off. The other thing I found excellent were two tuxedo urchins. Since you have a FOWLR, this is not an option. I found the little guys peeled the cyno off to wear???
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 AM

i have 3 urchins in my tank and they do a great job on the rocks but they never move along my sandbed. i was reading up on some sand sifters and was thinking about adding a knobby sea cucumber cause i read that they filter sand thru their bodies. all i have for sand sifters i have right now is 2 sleeper gobies. well i bought 2 and have only seen one i hope the other one is just hiding.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 AM

P.S i should change my tag all the fish in my tan were reef safe so i have added a couple frags in the last few weeks

cheers
Ray
Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 AM

I have the cleanest sand bed ever! I have a sand sifting star and a dragon goby. The only down fall to the dragon is he tends to cover the coral the lower corals with sand and undermine some of my rocks. I fixed this by putting base rock down and blow the sand off my coral during my daily maintenance. I still have lots of critters in my sand bed, I don't find they eat everything. I may consider buying some recharge for my sand bed if I don't see critters against the glass anymore. They will be even happier if I get my planned 230g upgrade. LOL
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 AM

recharge? whats that?

ha ha im trying to convince my girlfriend that we need to buy a bigger house so i can get a 200+gallon tank ha ha i never factored in how addicted i was going to get to this hobby when we bought out current place haha
Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Is it the PC biocube?....if so, how old are the bulbs?....How old is the set-up?....better flow at the bottom of the tank, black out, adding a handful of nassarius snails, KZs Coral snow....all of these will help.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694