Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 AM

htfn is on a distinguished road
Default CA Reactor or Dosing

I would like to ask canreef member which is better. Currently I am using Coralife CA reactor and giving me a hard time. I guss what you pay is what you get. Anyway I am thinking to move over to 2 part dosing but I am still serching. Before I will make a decision I just like to hear your opinion and experience.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I have tried both, IMHO on a larger system with fair amount of sps and lps will highly benefit from a calcium reactor. If your system is under a hundred gallons or less then dosing might just work for you. It all depends on what suit you better.

Over the last 7 months or so, ever since I switched over to a vertex calcium reactor I haven't messed around with it for more then a few hours and that's including setting it up. Ph probe and solenoid control is a must if you are setting one up, besides filling the media and the co2 which I haven't done yet the unit has been rock solid(knock on wood) compare to when I was dosing, I was using 1 gallon jugs of bulk reef supply chemicals which cost me a arm and a leg just for shipping. I would have to fill the jug up every week or less. I know some can argue why not just get some bulk from around town and use some larger containers so the refill intervals are shortened but for the quality of their bulk chemical product, you just can't beat BRS and until you start mixing chemical yourself, it is just a pain in the where the sun don't shine. I personally hated doing it. I had 6 jugs in rotatio and it still ****ed me off. Some days when I am shaking the alkalinity bottom and the rest just won't mix, it always brought me back to a childhood story of me shaking a Costco size salsa in the kitchen and the lid flew off, needless to say my mom was not impressed with me.�� One thing dosing seem to have an edge over calcium reactor is the ability to fine tune your parameter, as long as you make sure your salinity is in check then it's all good.

The choices is really entirely up to you. Both system has pros and cons. It's just in a larger system, a calcium reactor seem to have more pros then cons over dosing but you still need to purchase a decent reactor so you don't have to mess around with it too much. Same goes for dosing. If you are going that route, make sure you purchase a good dosing unit like a liter meter or the profilux stand alone unit for accuracy and reliability. One thing I have learns from this hobby is if you are dedicated reefer and are willing to do it right, spend the money and buy some decent equipment cause if you don't you will regret it later.

I hope this helped, let me know if you have anymore questions about the 2, I will be happy to help you out.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Last edited by Bblinks; 01-25-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 AM

SteveConn is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this obsession since this past summer and have decided with the new tank, I am going the reactor route. Right now I am using the vinegar & Kalk method, but its a PITA. Dosing cant keep to keep up via evaporation & my auto topoff. I need additional dosing every week and dont like the shock to my corals. I am not so picky with LPS, its all the SPS I am most concerned about. I have a lot of chemicals... I'll finish them off with the big tank start up then set up my reactor. Much more stable from what I have read.

I think its better to spend on good equipment. I always look for opinions here or online reviews before deciding on any equipment.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Someone on RC compared the costs between the two and I believe generally speaking once you're over the 180g mark a reactor is cheaper. I dose on a 400g anyways and love the complete control I have. I have much more faith in a peristaltic doser than I do pressurized gas and needle valves/solenoids etc.

I use Reef Crystals which is quite high in Calcium and as a result I dose less Calcium than Alkalinity. A balanced addition of the two (which from what I understand is what reactors do) would create an imbalance in this case.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I have about an 800gallon SPS system and I use Balling system via Profilux doser. Much easier to maintain and dial in. No more sudden failures(plugging of the Mazzei injector) of the Ca reactor just as I am about to leave on a trip.

I go through 720ml of Alk a day. It got to the point where I was using so much chems that I just bought in bulk and started producing smaller sizes for people to use in their tanks. My philosophy in this is I sell the same products I use. Check out http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/aquarium-additives/ or click my banner on this site.

Here is a pic of part of the tank.

and a few of the corals

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM

htfn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. My system is about 120 gal total water, so dosing might be better way? However I am thinking to do DIY dosing before I will get nice one. I just like to try. I was serching DIY dosing and found one of the reefer was using Aqualifter pump and gang valve. What do you think about this idea? I have very limited budget to keep my tank running, so I try to keep cost down. Maybe I have wrong hobby.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I would imagine we're all trying to keep the costs down if and where we can I have used both a reactor and dosing pump. Personally I like the dosing pump as its easier to maintain my chemicals (used to have to take my co2 tank in fairly often and the shops hours were pretty restrictive, same hours I work) and I think the dosing pump keeps my parameters much more stable. You may want to invest in a better reactor? I don't know how great the coralife ones are (I've seen their skimmers in action and I wasn't impressed by them). My first calcium reactor was great, no problems and I filled the co2 tank every 9 months or so like clockwork, then I decided to "upgrade" to a fancier reactor and I had nothing but problems which made me want to switch to dosing. I do find dosing to be more expensive so far but not expensive enough to make me switch back to a reactor.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfn View Post
Thanks for the information. My system is about 120 gal total water, so dosing might be better way? However I am thinking to do DIY dosing before I will get nice one. I just like to try. I was serching DIY dosing and found one of the reefer was using Aqualifter pump and gang valve. What do you think about this idea? I have very limited budget to keep my tank running, so I try to keep cost down. Maybe I have wrong hobby.
Thanks
Nowadays everyone is on a budget, some are just bigger than others. I wouldn't give up just cause you can't afford all the fancy contraptions. My buddy Chris does the same thing, he doses calcium and alkalinity VIA a up side down container, some tubing and a regular adjustable valve. He uses it on a 75 gallon sps tank and it works awesome, never ever has he experienced any issues and his sps growth is rock solid. This is just an example of DIY that works as good as any 600 dollar doser and it only cost him a fraction of that. Give it a try and see how it turns out. Don't be discouraged.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Last edited by Aquattro; 01-26-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: change syntax would/wouldn't
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I've done a full "budget" SPS reef tank. Look for used calcium reactors, lots of people switching to fancy new dosing systems. I picked up mine for $200 and will provide more than enough for any growth. Costs me about $50 a year refilling my CO2 and buying a gallon jug of ARM media that lasts a year and a half. The cost for Dosing would be much higher yearly. Lots of ways to save money on a reef tank, but sometimes the fancy new start-up systems are actually worth the money to save hassle.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I have about an 800gallon SPS system and I use Balling system via Profilux doser. Much easier to maintain and dial in. No more sudden failures(plugging of the Mazzei injector) of the Ca reactor just as I am about to leave on a trip.

I go through 720ml of Alk a day. It got to the point where I was using so much chems that I just bought in bulk and started producing smaller sizes for people to use in their tanks. My philosophy in this is I sell the same products I use. Check out http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/aquarium-additives/ or click my banner on this site.

Here is a pic of part of the tank.

and a few of the corals

Cheers,
Tim
WOW Tim, I would love to come out and see your place one day and buy some frags off you.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013