Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road
Default MP40 and sand size

I would like to know what type / size of sand people have with their MP40 that doesn't blow around alot. I don't like the bare bottomed look but I also don't want a sand storm. Some movement of the sand is okay. I am hoping to buy it this weekend. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Went with crushed coral its not too bad cheap at petsmart. Paw through my thread in my signature and you will see the size of it in some pics.

360 Reef Tank
Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunee View Post
I would like to know what type / size of sand people have with their MP40 that doesn't blow around alot. I don't like the bare bottomed look but I also don't want a sand storm. Some movement of the sand is okay. I am hoping to buy it this weekend. Thank you.
If it not too low it does not interfere with the sand.

If it is near the bottom clear an 8inch of so area and the sand will not be affected.
Fine grain sand IMO looks more natural and all kinds of crittters live there as well as some fish overnight there.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
If it not too low it does not interfere with the sand.

If it is near the bottom clear an 8inch of so area and the sand will not be affected.
Fine grain sand IMO looks more natural and all kinds of crittters live there as well as some fish overnight there.
Thanks for the information. My new tank is only going to be 18" high so I don't have too much room to play with. I do prefer the look of finer sand so I think I will go with CaribSea Special. I'll let the MP40 clear the area beneath it (if it does) and maybe try to cover the bare area with rubble. Will have to wait and see, maybe not too long as my new aquarium is in this weekend!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

I have 2 MP40's in a 120G (48X24X24). I use Caribbea Special Grade Reef Sand for a shallow sand bed and it never moves no matter what setting on the MP40's. My rockwork consists of 3 islands with lots of exposed sand.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
I have 2 MP40's in a 120G (48X24X24). I use Caribbea Special Grade Reef Sand for a shallow sand bed and it never moves no matter what setting on the MP40's. My rockwork consists of 3 islands with lots of exposed sand.
Great to hear!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
+1 Same with me but 90G (24"). The MP40 is 1/2 the way up and doesn't really kick up the sand too much.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

In any newly set up system with fresh sand and an MP40, you'll likely have some movement for a while, until the sand 'matures'. Aside from location, the mode and how high you crank up the power will have a great impact on what happens to your substrate. Once the bacteria, critters, minerals in the water start colonizing & encrusting the sand grains, you should be fine. My 77 is the standard height and I have two MP40s about 3-4 inches from the surface, no issues with sand unless I or one of the critters disturbs it. No idea what kind of substrate/sand I have since I purchased everything used. Seems to be variety of small/medium/large stuff. You can always keep the pump on a relatively low power setting until you get the landscape sorted out.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-05-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

I have two mp40's in a 6foot tank in 18inches of water, so about 10inches off the bottom at the start I could not see a thing now that the sand has matured its much better the bare spots now have coralline algae and I don't even notice them.

I used this sand from eco reefers Bahamas 'Fine' Sand
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

I have a standard sized 75 gallon and keep my mp40 about six inches from the top. I have fine sand but the mp40 was added after about six months after the sand had matured a bit. No major sandstorms unless my clowns start digging in. I like it near the top as the rockwork doesn't get in the way when trying to create a wave and it seems to create a nice undertow moving across the sand towards the mp40.

I've also tried positioning it closer to the the bottom. Maybe six or seven inches from the sand but had to move in a couple flat pieces of live rock where it wanted to blow the sand around. Either way has great flow and fun to play with the differnt modes.