Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default ScubaSteve's new Tank Build - The Coral Cube Redux

I've been pining to build a new system for well over a year now. I first had planned to build a new system during the move to my current place... well.. moving and tank building do not necessarily mix well and I ended up with a system that worked but fell short of my goals and aspirations. I planned on doing a system rebuild this spring but fell short of time and money yet again (the eternal struggle of the poor grad student) and had to settle with a rescape.

To my good fortune I have been able to scrape together some extra cash through some prototyping side jobs and there have been a couple instances of "money from heaven" recently that has left me with a few hundred dollars to actually consider doing something.

Well, I've got some money now but still no time... but damn it I'm going to do it this time! So here is my plan, my dream, my big scheme... and I'd love to have people's feedback during this planning stage.

The Idea
I love the look and feel of contemporary, rimless, odd-dimensioned tanks like cubes. I also want a very sleek, clean look... so nothing will be in or on the tank other than maybe a powerhead or two. Because of where the tank is placed between two couches I want all three sides of the tank to be equally viewable and each face will have its own "theme" or particular look and feel. I want to make as much use of negative space as possible and, though I will have a stupidly high flow rate in the tank I want to retain as much of a sand bed as possible as I think the sand makes the tank look brighter than bare bottom designs.

I want the system to be as simple and low-maintenance as I can afford to achieve, so basically I'll be adding luxuries like an ATO which I haven't been able to have before... oh... and a sump as well.

AND to make this more exciting I'm doing this on a tight budget

The Tank
The tank is going to be a 24"x24"x ? rimless cube with a coast-to-coast rear external overflow with a beananimal-style triple-redundant drain system and two returns (one in each upper corner) and will be using my existing stand (24"x24" footprint). I might not have a toothed weir as I want very good surface skimming and silent operation (tanks should be seen and not heard); I will make an optional acrylic toothed piece on my mill should I feel I need it. I am currently undecided on the tank height; I currently have a 16" height but I have also been pining for some extra tank volume. I am expecting that if I make the tank bigger I'll have to reinforce my stand a bit (3/4" thick MDF cabinet) but here are my options:

16" (40G - current)
18" (45G)
20" (50G)
24" (60G)

Any thoughts on this? I am going to be building the tank myself because a) I love a challenge b) I am capable c) can't afford the prices I've been quoted (nearly 3 to 4 times the actual material cost! FTW?!).

The Sump
Oh god do I look forward to having a sump! No more stupid heaters, HOB filters and skimmers... just clean, quiet design... ohhhh baby... uhhh.... I digress.

Because of my stand dimensions (23" by 23" inside the cabinet) I am a bit limited on what I can do with a sump without building something completely custom (that is a future project). I will be converting a 15G tall tank that I have kicking around into a baffled sump. I have acquired a Vertex IN-80 that I will be using to overskim the bejesus out of my tank. Because of the size of the skimmer, the sump will be largely dominated by the skimmer and the section for the return pump, which really doesn't give me any room for a refugium so I think I may just make the area between a filter/carbon area. That is unless someone has any whiz-bang ideas on how to better set it up or willing to provide any used sumps around 23"x23".

I will have an ATO! I am probably equally excited for this one feature as I am for the entire tank. I'll likely build my own and use three switch voting logic to avoid any overfilling issues.

I will also (eventually) add a two-part dosing system. As much as I would love to have a peristaltic system, I am poor. So, I'm likely going to McGyver my own set-up.

I'll throw up some concept renderings in a bit.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear about the upgrade, I would make the new tank 20" tall. What kind of lights are you running?

It's too bad you have a small foot print for the sump, a larger sump would be great. Are you having a tank for the ATO aswell?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 08-06-2011, 07:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

dont do 24" i hate crawling in mine, mine is 24 x 24 x 24 and it sucked i wish i had went 20"
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Glad to hear about the upgrade, I would make the new tank 20" tall. What kind of lights are you running?

It's too bad you have a small foot print for the sump, a larger sump would be great. Are you having a tank for the ATO aswell?
Thanks dude! I'm running a 250W HQI with two 65W actinic PCs, but the PCs may be modded to T5s or LEDs in the near future.

I have room under the stand to have an ATO tank but I think I might just do an external reservoir that sits behind the tank (the tank is angled in a corner, so there is a mile of room behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
dont do 24" i hate crawling in mine, mine is 24 x 24 x 24 and it sucked i wish i had went 20"
Ya, that's been my debate as well. I want the extra volume but the tank is already a bit of a PITA with the eurobracing (WHICH I WILL NEVER HAVE ON A TANK AGAIN!!!!) and the depth.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Ah hey, I've been meaning to ask ya... What did the 24"x24"x24" cost you for glass and silicone?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i got mine in edmonton for 120 or 140 and it basically was a tank but not siliconed, i got the five panes,3 holes,3 bulkheads,and 1 large piece of black acrylic for i think it was 140, and it was all beveled and polished 12mm glass.silicone was only a few bucks, your gonna need tape,razorblades,clamps,and rubbing alcohol as well.not to mention the tools plus drillbit if you plan on drilling it yourslef.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
i got mine in edmonton for 120 or 140 and it basically was a tank but not siliconed, i got the five panes,3 holes,3 bulkheads,and 1 large piece of black acrylic for i think it was 140, and it was all beveled and polished 12mm glass.silicone was only a few bucks, your gonna need tape,razorblades,clamps,and rubbing alcohol as well.not to mention the tools plus drillbit if you plan on drilling it yourslef.
That ain't half bad! I'm planning on having someone local cut and polish the glass and do the notch of the overflow weir. If they can drill the holes for me to save time, Awesome; if not I've got no problem doing it. I've been trying to find a ballpark figure to know what's a fair price.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Glass has been ordered! It'll be here Friday so I'm building a new freakin' tank over the long weekend!

I decided that since I am going to do this, I'm gonna do it right and go all out. 3/8" glass all around and I've asked for all visible edges to be polished and for the supplier to cut the overflow notch and drill the holes in the back glass and the overflow. Yes, I could have done those cuts myself but the way I see it, my time is worth X dollars and I have to go buy the tools to do it, so really... it makes sense for me to have them do it. Plus they'll make it way prettier than I can. So all said and done, it's more than I was first planning in my head, price-wise, but it's still not half bad.

I went with a 20" high tank, so that'll be a 50G plus a 15G sump. I'll be covering the back of the tank with a sheet of 1/8" acrylic. I decided on a beananimal-style overflow (1 full siphon plus secondary open channel drain plus emergency drain). I have designed the overflow system to handle well over 800 gph (can go as high as 1400 gpm if for whatever reason s*** goes really sideways) but I plan to operate it down around 500 - 600 gph.

I'm going to be shoehorning a Vertex IN-80 under the stand and am looking for an ATO and a carbon reactor. I don't plan on going any more complex than that because, well, I am poor and I want it to be as simple as possible. If I can find affordable 2-part dosers, that'll be it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

1400gpm... That overflow must be stretched like octomom post partum Haha, can't wait to see it all together! You going to snap some photos of the build process for us less build savy folks?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
1400gpm... That overflow must be stretched like octomom post partum Haha, can't wait to see it all together! You going to snap some photos of the build process for us less build savy folks?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Hahahahaha. Nah, it's almost coast to coast but not quite and it's without teeth (unlike octomom's.... umm.. never mind). Sat down and did the math of what that weir could handle and still give me a bit of breathing room before bad things happened. I sure as hell won't ever be running it that high (I don't think a pump that could do that could even fit under my stand) but being an engineer my knee-jerk reflex is to over design the s*** out of stuff. I like my 3x safety factors (9x on the glass!).

Yup, I'm planning on taking pics while doing this... unless things go wrong. In which case, I'll be doing a lot of photoshopping.

I think the tank build is going to be easy compared to what comes after. I have to somehow quickly drain my old tank, lift it off the stand (with rocks and corals) without destroying anything and my living room, get it to a safe place on the floor and fill it back up... with out stuff, you know, dying on me... Then comes the fun part of plumbing the bastard up.