Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Plumbing, A few new Questions

I will start by saying, I have never plumbed a tank on my own and the one tank I had my brother help me with, I was not really paying attention Well he is not in town to help me right now, so I need help.

I just got a custom new tank from a member here. Its around 115G I guess...6'x20"deep and 18"tall. Nice and shallow. This is a FOWLR tank for my puffers. The tank is drilled in the bottom with 4-2" bulkheads. 2 Are going to be used for a closed loop and 2 for the overflow/return.

The closed loop is easy enough for me but I have no idea right now how exactly Im going to plumb the overflow/sump/return. I am going to use two rubbermaid containers for the sump and refugium, plumbed together.

So, Overflow situation...Im using the 2-2" bulkheads that are located in the back center of the tank. As I said, they are drilled in the bottom. What would you recommend? I was going to do a standard glass overflow (toothless) with a durso standpipe and then plumb the return back up through the other bulkhead to the top of the overflow and back into the tank. Only problem is, the tank is eurobraced...I would have to extend the overflow way out into the tank to be able to access inside it for maintenance because of the eurobrace overhang. Any other methods I could use to avoid this? I can't use a shorter overflow because the tank is already so shallow.

For a return pump, Im looking at buying a external reeflo pump. not sure which one yet though.

Here is a pic of the tank. Any advice would be awesome. I will have many more questions down the road but just need to get a design at least first!

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 09-27-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Running somwhat similiar (2-2" overflows w/Dursos, 1" return, CL with 2" in, 4-1" out). My tank is eurobraced as well but just along the long length, no bracing on the sides and thats where my overflows are.

Can't tell fr your photos if your bracing on the sides but something to consider is put a the overflow tower on the end (from your picture, swap the CL and overflow placement).

Also for a return pump, since you are planning a CL, you can rely on that for circulation and scale back on the flow through the sump. With the CL providing the flow in the tank, really running any more gph than the skimmer can handle is just an extra.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Yes I agree I would have an acrylic over flow box built around your overflow drains. (I think OA can do this for you)

something to consider. The stand seems fairly low. you may find you have difficulty finding things hat can fit under it, Like a skimmer. I know you have invested a lot of time into the stand but I would raise it. It could also just be the perspective of the image.

As for sump/Fug I would baffle the refugium so that water from the overflow drains into the baffle then through the Fug then into the sump and returned to the tank. This will elliminate any bubbles returning to the main tank. Also you will not have to worry about the return pump sucking anything from the Fug into the display or clogging the return pump

J
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah the euro bracing is just running the length of the tank, not the width. I was originally going to use this tank as a room divider and have the overflow and return on the end (against the wall) but since I am not using it as a room divider anymore, I wanted to use the middle holes instead. I think I might save myself a lot of trouble by just using the end bulkheads as the overflow still. Only reason I dont like that, is I didnt want to see any plumbing from the sides of the tank (through the glass).

Do you have pictures of how your plumbing is set up?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
Yes I agree I would have an acrylic over flow box built around your overflow drains. (I think OA can do this for you)

something to consider. The stand seems fairly low. you may find you have difficulty finding things hat can fit under it, Like a skimmer. I know you have invested a lot of time into the stand but I would raise it. It could also just be the perspective of the image.

As for sump/Fug I would baffle the refugium so that water from the overflow drains into the baffle then through the Fug then into the sump and returned to the tank. This will elliminate any bubbles returning to the main tank. Also you will not have to worry about the return pump sucking anything from the Fug into the display or clogging the return pump

J
The stand is fairly low at just a few inches over 2 feet. The thing that makes it look very low, is the tank. Because its only 18" tall. Makes the stand look even lower. I may raise it a bit though. The skimmer Im using is 2 feet with the collection cup, so not much room really.

I like your fuge/sump idea. I am using a external return pump which could be plumbed after the sump. I think that would be the best way to go. Have any of you ever plumbed rubbermaids together? I may just end up going with tanks...I have heard of people plumbing rubbermaids but never really seen it. Would it just be the same as plumbing (connecting) two glass tanks together.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 09-20-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:09 PM

So, I think to make life a bit easier, I will use the end holes for the overflow and return. I have a few more questions...Bare with me, these questions are probably stupid and simple but I have never done this before...

1. These are 2" bulkheads, what size PVC should I be plumbing the drain line with and will 2" bulkheads not be a bit much flow draining from a 115G tank? What about PVC size for building the standpipes? (I have never built them before). I have a whole bunch of 2" and 1.5" PVC that I would like to try to use if possible.

2. What is a better option than a durso standpipe? I have used them before and they were still a bit loud...maybe built wrong though?

3. I know acrylic does not bond to glass well at all. What do most of you do to solve this problem if you build an acrylic overflow? I guess its not really being used under pressure and the "suction" from the water flowing over it, may help keep it in place? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question

4. What about painting the acrylic overflow? I would rather use the acrylic I have than buy black stuff. Are there any paints that are safe INSIDE the tank?

5. Same question are earlier, what about plumbing rubbermaid type containers together? How well does this work? I would need to connect them...

6. Whats the best spot in Vancouver to buy plumbing supplies? I have had a hard time finding any 2" bulkheads or anything for 2" PVC. I have a bunch of 2" PVC and would like to use it but can't find elbows, unions, valves, ect. in that size...only abs stuff.

I think I will draw a few of the plans up soon and that may help you guys help me

Thanks for your help though!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
So, I think to make life a bit easier, I will use the end holes for the overflow and return. I have a few more questions...Bare with me, these questions are probably stupid and simple but I have never done this before...

1. These are 2" bulkheads, what size PVC should I be plumbing the drain line with and will 2" bulkheads not be a bit much flow draining from a 115G tank? What about PVC size for building the standpipes? (I have never built them before). I have a whole bunch of 2" and 1.5" PVC that I would like to try to use if possible.
you must alway build a stand pipe or Durso 1/4" bigger than the bulkhead. But you can get around this by building a 2 inch Durso and then after the bulk head redoes the PVC size to 1 1/2 (1 3/4 is hard to find)
Quote:
2. What is a better option than a durso standpipe? I have used them before and they were still a bit loud...maybe built wrong though?
Mine have always been dead silent. A lot depends on height or the Derso
Quote:
3. I know acrylic does not bond to glass well at all. What do most of you do to solve this problem if you build an acrylic overflow? I guess its not really being used under pressure and the "suction" from the water flowing over it, may help keep it in place? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question
Silicone made for Aquariums you can get large tubes of it at OA and hidden reef
Quote:
4. What about painting the acrylic overflow? I would rather use the acrylic I have than buy black stuff. Are there any paints that are safe INSIDE the tank?
I would just buy the black stuff
Quote:
5. Same question are earlier, what about plumbing rubbermaid type containers together? How well does this work? I would need to connect them...
I've seen a lot of them. they work well. You just have to make sure the bulkhead is sealed well.
Quote:
6. Whats the best spot in Vancouver to buy plumbing supplies? I have had a hard time finding any 2" bulkheads or anything for 2" PVC. I have a bunch of 2" PVC and would like to use it but can't find elbows, unions, valves, ect. in that size...only abs stuff.
Terasen (but it's not called that anymore) on River Road behind Richmond Home Depot
Quote:
I think I will draw a few of the plans up soon and that may help you guys help me

Thanks for your help though!

Hope I've helped I'm sure you'll get more responses

J
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Yes that helps. Im still a bit confused though about the standpipe thing. Do you mean, I can build it with 2" PVC and then after the bulkhead reduce down to 1 1/2" PVC for the rest of the return? I thought the durso always had to be bigger than the bulkhead for some reason...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Anyone also have a good link to a thread or site that really shows plumbing step by step? I know all plumbing if different but I really would like to see it done step by step. Even stuff like building the standpipes...I know they are simple but again, I have never done it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

comment about the Dursos.

I read as well that you should go up one size but my experience it's not required with the larger pipe size.

I'm running 2-2" threaded bulkhead with Dursos and they are both silent and I'm splitting probably 1000gph between them.

To make, just threaded a 2" TA into the bulkhead and built up from there staying with 2". The only mod I did was because of limited space in the overflow towers using 2", and since couldn't find a 2" street elbow, was to basically make one by cutting the 90 and Tee back before coupling.