Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Water damage

We are all paranoid of our tank leaking or breaking, dumping gallons of water in our homes. We inspect the tanks and equipment and do everything we can to prevent disasters.

Well, a few weeks ago, we had to unclog a bathroom drain which was full of hair. Cleaned it out and went on our merry way. Last night someone didn't quit turn off the tap and a small trickle of water running overnight has popped the ceiling, carpets are soaked, all because the drain wasn't put back together properly.

The ceiling will need to be replaced, it's in our living room. We've pulled up the carpet and have fans going. Good thing today is a holiday otherwise it wouldnt have been caught until we got home from work/school. What a mess......
Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Jschier is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear. I once left my RO unit run all night and overflowed the barrel . Cleanest spill ever! Used a steam vac to suck it up over 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that, that's what insurance is for. regards ken
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

ARgh that sucks....

We had a hot water tank let go on friday. Luckily I caught it before I left for work. Still had to lay new towels down every few hours to keep soaking up the leak.

Hope the cleanup goes well...

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Bummer. As long as you don't have knock down texture on your ceiling it's not a huge deal to remove the damaged portion and patch in new drywall. For the carpet, unless stained, I'd just replace the underlay and then clean the carpet once its dried out and stretched back in place. If that's all the damage is limited to then an insurance claim probably won't be worth it in the long run.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ugh that's no fun. I hope you find a good handyman to fix it up for ya.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM

It's a knocked down textured ceiling. The water ran along the tape seams running in 2 directions. Also have a couple water stains, it's still drying.

We will replace the underlay as we had to cut it to pull up in the hallway. The bedroom was easier to pull up without cutting, but I don't want that mildewy smell...

I've got a couple people I can call in to assess the repairs, then we'll decide if we bring in insurance. I just got my renewal adjusted down $1200 per year but it renews in march.....

Not good timing...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Crappy deal, keep in mind no matter what anyone tells you, you can't patch knock down. If you do it will clearly be visible so the whole ceiling will need to be redone.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Crappy deal, keep in mind no matter what anyone tells you, you can't patch knock down. If you do it will clearly be visible so the whole ceiling will need to be redone.
Do you mean the entire main floor?? It's an open floor plan, the only closed off areas are the pantry/laundry room and bathroom. Everything else is open.....
Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Do you mean the entire main floor?? It's an open floor plan, the only closed off areas are the pantry/laundry room and bathroom. Everything else is open.....

Yeah knock down is tough to work with, never get it to match again. I would probably leave the part out you had the sink apart to work on it the other day to the insurance people. Unless you had a trades person in if that's the case I would go after him. Curious about what part of the sink drain didn't get assembled correctly ?

360 Reef Tank