Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road
Default Saddle back clowns.

I have a pair of Saddle back clowns in my reef. Would like to get them out(they're picking on the other clowns). Any "tricks of the trade" to capture them, without dismantling the reef? Doug
Old 10-09-2009, 06:59 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Do they have an anemone? If so move it they will follow close, then net them
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

These fish did not follow their anenome, when it moved one night, to the back of the tank. Their anenome is in a hard place to retrieve, without breaking coral, or dismantling the reef. It's like the fish are lost, or have lost intrest in their anenome. So that might be tough to do.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Little Fin is on a distinguished road

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 PM

hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I have a pair of Saddle back clowns in my reef. Would like to get them out(they're picking on the other clowns). Any "tricks of the trade" to capture them, without dismantling the reef? Doug
I had the same problem once. I waited 1hr after the lights went out. Approached the tank with a flash light but didn't shine it directly on the tank. Found them semi-sleeping along the glass. Went in with a net and caught them. You can see if that works.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Clownfish are easy to catch when they are sleeping, but try 3-4 hrs after the lights are out, they will usually be in deep sleep if you don't have any other lights in that room. You usually get more than 'one' chance to catch them if they have been tamed too good.

The other easiest way to catch any fish out of a full blown reef is to drain it. Corals can stay out of water for short periods, I drained and filled back up my 120G in around an hour.... sure beats me waving a net around with full blown sps colonies etc.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus