Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road
Default Table saw advice

I know a few of you have extensive woodworking experience so I figured I'd ask her

I'm looking at buying a used table saw and I cannot decide between delta and craftsman

The two saws I'm looking at are a newer craftsman cabinet makers series 10" and a Delta model 36-650c

I've only really owned a general international with a uni fence so I'm not too sure about these two

No matter which one I buy ill be upgrading to a uni fence eventually so the fence isn't a huge selling point and I'm looking at these as I don't want an external motor
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

Im a cabinet maker by trade we use Deltas in the shops model dependent but craftsmans are typically not used , mostly a sears brand.

brent
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

I think Delta is the way to go. I gather the external motor clogs and overheats? I would still prefer the external motor for serviceability and less blade deflection. But there is still the belt issue with the external motor. Tough call.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I have a large King Canada tablesaw and it is great.

Stay clear..... This Bear bits off limbs!!

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Second Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
I think Delta is the way to go. I gather the external motor clogs and overheats? I would still prefer the external motor for serviceability and less blade deflection. But there is still the belt issue with the external motor. Tough call.
I plan on putting an out feed table behind it with cabinets so the motor would be in the was
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
I don't want an external motor
Are you refering to belt drive vs direct drive, or just a belt drive with a motor outside of the cabinet (most are inside the cabinet)?

I've worked on lots of shop equipment and all the best ones that last and get fixed rather than thrown out are belt drives. They are much quieter, motors are TEFC so they don't get dirty, motors last as long as the direct drives but can be replaced for a couple hundred bucks depending on HP, etc. Delta is still a pretty good brand and parts are easy to come by if needed. I still see lots of Delta/Rockwell stuff that is 50 years old and run better than new stuff. Craftsman should be fine for a home hobbiest as long as it is not the bottom end stuff. I just have a Ridgid table saw at home and it suits my needs as i don't build furniture, if I need anything cabinet grade I just do it at the cabinet shop at work. So between your two choices I would go with a Delta belt drive cabinet saw if portability isn't an issue for you.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 AM

littlewoodchuck is on a distinguished road

I have been a journeyman cabinetmaker for 24 years and I sitll use my 3hp Delta 10" table saw that I bought used back in 1994-never ever had a problem with it and it has cut more wood than four generations of beavers that live at my lake.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I recently sold my 40 year old juggernaut of a Craftsman table saw. There was nothing wrong with it, I just had the opportunity to replace it with a much newer General International for the right price. If I were to own a Craftsman again I would probably go shopping for another 40 year old beast. They don't make them like they used to. Delta is still a respectable brand though.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Are you planning for some kind of vacuum system to handle the dust if the motor is inside the cabinet? Also consider a zero clearance insert for ripping, etc. I wish I had the space in my basement shop for built in cabinets under an outfeed table.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Second Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
Are you planning for some kind of vacuum system to handle the dust if the motor is inside the cabinet? Also consider a zero clearance insert for ripping, etc. I wish I had the space in my basement shop for built in cabinets under an outfeed table.
Both saws I'm looking at have open stands but I'm thinking about closing them in and running my dust collector (have to drive to the island as its at my dads) otherwise ill be doing a lot of sweeping every time I use the saw