Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 AM

atcguy is on a distinguished road
Default problems with magnifica still

Well My anemone now moved over about 6 inches and planted again. this is the first move since I introduced him about 3 weeks ago. It has never really eaten from me. nothing sticks to its tenticles either. He is bigger today than ever though and still has its yellow color. My clowns still love it. there are days that it shrivels right up and once I found black mucous coming from the mouth. What are most feeding enemones these days. I have just tried krill soaked in garlic, or just plain. What kind of particle size should I be feeding. I wish it would eat!!! My female tomato is now doing great. that little burst of 84-85 degree temp swing seemed to clear up whatever parisite it had. Now its all about the anemone and how to get it eating. sal-1.024 temp 80. Calcium 410, alk 10, nitrates as low as you can get without having nil!!!! All other corals and fish doing great. ANY HELP??

thanks
Gerad
Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Myself, I'd try small silversides or maybe a bit larger ones. Perhaps a broken clam would be a good choice for it but they tend to be a strict planktonivore. You could try a feeder gold fish but they don't offer much nutrionally for the anemone and you certainly wouldn't want to make it a habit to feed them. For the anemone I'd skip the garlic. The feeder gold fish may not live long with the tomatos so you may want to just impale it on a feeding rod and rub it over the tenticles. In my opinion and I'm not the anemone expert but a magnifica isn't a beginner anemone, they are extremely long lived in the wild but I don't believe they do well in captivity. There are many easier to keep anemones out there that will host your clowns. 1.024 is your SG, Salinity would be approx 32-33 ppt. H. magnifica tends to reject fish and mollusks in captivity but they will try to position themselves where they can get the maximum amount of food delivered to them by the water movement, try some newly hatched baby brine shrimp as well. Watch your anemone, they will consume their own flesh and slowly die away. Something like 1 in 18 anemones survive captive care for more than a few months, and that doesn't include the hard to keep ones like the magnifica.
Again I'm no expert so understand this is just my 2 cents worth.

Doug