Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Chemiclean not working?

Does anyone have experience with chemiclean at the recommended dose not killing cyano? I've confirmed that is is in fact cyano under a microscope.

I dosed yesterday, turned off my skimmer, and this morning I'd say 95% of the cyano is unaffected. Is there anything else that could be impacting it's performance/does it go bad?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Does anyone have experience with chemiclean at the recommended dose not killing cyano? I've confirmed that is is in fact cyano under a microscope.

I dosed yesterday, turned off my skimmer, and this morning I'd say 95% of the cyano is unaffected. Is there anything else that could be impacting it's performance/does it go bad?
In my experience with chemiclean it takes more than a day for it to work. It took 3 days for most of mine to start dying off and probably a week before it was all gone.

Also, I did not turn off my skimmer. I took my skimmer cup off and let it overflow into my sump. Made for a nasty display tank full of micro bubbles but I knew that was just temporary so I didn't care. I wanted to make sure my tank remained oxygenated.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Ah ok, I'm just being impatient then.

I considered leaving my skimmer running just the way you described, but the foam was creating a mist of salt spray that was spreading out and landing on my cabinet doors, return pump, and getting uncomfortably close to my Apex's control panel.

However, I whipped out my time machine and took a trip back to the late 90s to get a couple DIY durso standpipes a while back when I realized my plumbing set-up made my herbies more trouble than they were worth. I now run filter socks to keep the micorbubbles contained more than anything else. I'd guess I run at close to 100% oxygen saturation on a bad day.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I seem to recall it taking about 3 days as well before it really started letting go, and up to a week for it for the really stubborn patches to completely disappear.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

if your skimmer cup has a drain installed maybe just leave it running with the cup on and the cap off to flow back into the sump?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

As others stated give it time... I just recently used it and saw a major difference in one day, maybe I am an exception. However by day 2-3 it should be gone.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I seem to recall it taking about 3 days as well before it really started letting go, and up to a week for it for the really stubborn patches to completely disappear.

Once it was all gone, did you have to keep using chemiclean to keep it away or is it one shot and you're done?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Skyline View Post
Once it was all gone, did you have to keep using chemiclean to keep it away or is it one shot and you're done?
Generally speaking, it is one shot and you're done. In really bad infestations I think it can require a second treatment to totally eradicate.

However for the long term, if the conditions that caused the cyano in the first place, don't change, then the cyano will likely eventually come back.

Cyano is kinda interesting in that it's sort of both like an algae and like a bacteria ... or depending on how you look at it, not really an algae and not really a bacteria. Algae for example, is usually brought on by a nutrient issue and it's growth rate can be predictable based on the nutrient levels and the lights. Cyano on the other hand, while it CAN be triggered by a nutrient level, isn't always, and simply limiting nutrients may not be enough to curtail its growth.

I've had good luck with getting rid of it by keeping tank lights off for a few days, but whether that's a good option or not depends on whether you have things that don't do well in extended darkness or not ..A FOWLR tank though without corals or a tank with mainly softies will likely do just fine for example.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
As others stated give it time... I just recently used it and saw a major difference in one day, maybe I am an exception. However by day 2-3 it should be gone.
+1, I've had it take 2 days to notice, 3rd day it's gone
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Baker is on a distinguished road

So even when you let it sit for a few days, do you still do your water changes 48 hours like they recommend?