Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM

Steve... is on a distinguished road
Default Cycling Tank

Hi Everyone,

I have been cycling my 220 gal for close to 3 months now and I still noticed a bit of hair algae on the rocks. Should I wait for the algae to die off first before adding live stock? I added a bunch of Turbo snails to help clean up
and have bio pellets in a reactor. Any thoughts? I have my fish in qt right now. I would say 95 % of the algae is gone.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

How long has everything been in QT?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

3 months? I'd say your tank was ready at least 6 weeks ago. Hair algae isn't a sign of curing, it's a sign of excess nutrients.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM

so what would you recommend of I do? Hold of adding any fish until I get if fixed or should I get a fish that will take care of the problem.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

What are your nutrient levels at? PO4/NO3, primarily. Are you running a skimmer? What kind? Water change schedule?
You could add a fish or three, but not to take care of the problem. The algae is your problem, not the fishes'
Adding fish will add more nutrients, so have a management/remediation plan before you go there. You either need to skim very efficiently or do frequent larger water changes.

Lighting can also encourage algae, so it might be a good idea to list all gear (make/model), levels of nutrients, water change schedule, RO or tap water.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

And I would humbly add, if your fish have been QT'd long enough. Nothing like taking your time getting this far and introducing fish you've QT'd for only 2 weeks.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
And I would humbly add, if your fish have been QT'd long enough. Nothing like taking your time getting this far and introducing fish you've QT'd for only 2 weeks.
good advice!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 AM

Yes, I planning to qt all my fish for at least 4-6 weeks before adding them ,I am in no hurry to add them in the DT. I rlike to resolve the hair algae issue first. The hair algae on the rock came from my old tank. I scrubed most of it off when I added it to the 220 but some of it has remained and never died off. I am doing 10% water change every week and have a SWC skimmer running. I also have some cheato growing in the refugium and have the lights running 24 hrs. The last time we tested the water, everything was good. In the past, I use to scrub down the glass 2-3 times a day because of the algae and now there is minimal growth on the glass. I was planning to scrub down the rocks that had the algae in it because it very minimal. Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Just a guy..

Which lights are on 24hours? The old rock is probably leaching PO4, feeding the algae. I'd do larger water changes if it were my tank.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 AM

the lights for the refugium, not the DT. So how much is a large water change?