Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Chinese LED fixture

I just received my LED lights from China.
The unit is a 120W 1:1 blue/white fixture of 1W LEDS

(excuse the photos, they were taken on my Nokia)

My first impressions are that the fixture is well built. It is very solid. I didn’t take it apart but looking through the slots you can clearly see a large aluminum heat sink, grounding wires and the power supplies. The light has 2 switches, on for the white and one for the blue. I am not sure how they wired it but the lights seem to slowly progress out in a about 3 seconds after the button is pushed.
There is a warning sticker that says “no submerge in water” and considering the vents on the side are just slots, I would heed their advice.
The fans are super-super quiet. I requested “quiet fans” and said OK but I figured they would just send me whatever. (According to the Aussies, the fans were quite loud.) The fans I received are quiet. About 3 times more quiet than my Red Sea Prism skimmer and a whisper compared to my Coralife fixture.
There are 3 fans in total which coupled with the heat sink should provide excellent cooling.
The fixture has been running for 12 hours and it is room temperature, the bottom seems to be giving of no heat.
The company was very helpful and you can customize anything. It isn’t like here in North America where you get it how it’s made and any special requests are met by angry sales people who don’t want to help you out. In China anything is possible (as I have found since I bring in stuff from alibaba.com quite often).
You can customize the LED layout, the colours, the amount of power chords, whether to have a timer or not, the colour, the fans (apparently).

The light is bright; it creates a nice shimmer effect in the tank. My only regret is that I didn’t have a 2:1 white/blue ratio since the light is a little too blue for my liking, but it is really making the colors pop in some of the corals.

As for cost, with duty, wire transfer fees, tax, brokerage fees and shipping it came to $352. The light has a 3 year warranty and according to the guys at Australian Reef they actually honour it. (somebody’s power supply broke so they sent them 3 for free.)
Here is a giant 37 page thread on the LEDS
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewto...er=asc&start=0

As for Par, i don’t plan on testing it. Many people who bought the light have already done so:
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewto...9183&start=180
Judging by their reading, it seems pretty good.

I built a special canopy (that still needs stain) that the light can rest on (frankly, I do not trust shady hanging systems). This will make it so only the acrylic lens over the light is exposed to the water.

In conclusion, I and very happy with this lighting system. I have only had if for a day so I will see how long it lasts. Even if it only lasts the extent of the warranty I will still be uber happy. Since my tank is 30long, I feel that one is adequate. Any longer, I would suggest 2. Since the light is 16 inches long (total) 2 would be perfect over a 36 and 3 over a 48.
If you would like any more information feel free to PM me.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 08-26-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Very interesting...you don't mention where you bought it or a brand name...but I would love to know.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Very interesting...you don't mention where you bought it or a brand name...but I would love to know.
Woops. The comapny is called Shenzhen Baisheng Semiconductor Lighting Co., Ltd.

http://www.bsled.com/

http://bsled.en.alibaba.com/aboutus.html

Edit; i bought it on Alibaba.com.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 08-26-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

would love you to take some more pictures of this. If i get the gyst of your links...this light is a scaled down version of the Pacific sun light?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 AM

Yeah, i will post more pictures when i have a chance.

I do not believe it is a dumbed down Pacific Sun. There is a Polish company that has almost the exact same light but added blue tooth and dimming features for around 800 a unit.

Maxspect is probably the closest comparrison.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 AM

actually I am wrong, this is probably a dumbed down versian of every LED system on the market without a dimmer and a computer.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Gold Member

So what are your thoughts now that it's been running a few days?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

The PAR output seams to be about 1/2 of a good 3 watt system, but havign said that if your not keeping SPS and you have a tank under 16" deep it should be good.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
The PAR output seams to be about 1/2 of a good 3 watt system, but havign said that if your not keeping SPS and you have a tank under 16" deep it should be good.

Steve
Steve, do you have one as well? Is it just the generic one shown in this thread?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Wish you had asked about these before buying one. They are not well built. The heatsinks are very thin and barely adequate for the job, hence running three fans for such a small unit. These units run on the ragged edge of thermal reliability and if your ambient temperature gets to high or a fan goes out or they start to plug up from dust you can easily overheat the LEDs reducing their output and shortening their useful life.

Also, the driver circuitry is not very good AFIK. I believe these are voltage driven rather then current driven which is a less reliable (but probably cheaper) method of doing the job but can also make these prone to early failure.

But I guess they are inexpensive I wouldn't compare these to Maxspect. The Maxspect are much much much better then these.