Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-22-2008, 06:31 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef
Default Korallen-Zucht Kaliumtest

Hello all. I purchased the KZ Kaliumtest and it came without instructions or a color test strip. AWESOME!

I'm just wondering if anyone has an extra set of instructions and color strip? I'm really trying to get this Zeo thing right, but can't really test for K+ without these things.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Did you buy it locally? I would return it.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
Did you buy it locally? I would return it.
I bought it unused, but second-hand.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I see Aged Salt answered you question on Zeovit.

What he answered is exactly what mine says.
Not that it helps reading the test is very difficult LOL

J
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Heh, I was just gonna say, it doesn't really matter if you follow the instructions or not. Just randomly add reagents, wave your hands above the test vial, and then emphatically state some random number that comes into your head. (It's important that you say it emphatically. If you show any hesitation, you have to repeat the test.)
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Heh

So do you guys test regularly for K+? They seem to place a lot of emphasis on it on the Zeovit forum.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I tested the heck out of it for about 2 weeks, then gave up because in the end because I felt I was just guessing too much at the final value. (ie. "Yeah, I guess I can't see the colour strip anymore.") I figure if I can maybe get with someone else and we both try reading the same samples and we both get similar guesses then maybe I'd start up again. Basically I need a reference of some kind, either a known sample or at least an external confirmation that my results are close.

If this were a perfect world, I'd aim to test the value on a weekly (or thereabouts) basis. I don't like it when I get my tests too far apart in time (doesn't mean I'm very good at it) but my goal is to have a baseline done about once per week.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

step 1: pack everything up into the box
step 2: throw in garbage lol (don't tell dennis I said this!)

lol I'm a little biased on this one but I think the potassium testkits are VERY hard to use to the point where I just don't test it. I know the big bottle is distilled water but does anyone know what the little dropper bottle contains? If so one could do a proper precipitate test with a little chemistry math and a lab quality scale.

I remember back in chemistry with this type of test you're supposed to be working with large enough volumes that you can filter out and weigh the precipitate (we used coffee filters on our high school lab scales).

Guessing the approximate value through a colour chart is technically the wrong way to measure this kind of precipitate I think. Unfortunately lab style testing is out of reach of us hobbyists...