Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road
Default Blue Linckia questions

So I bought this beautiful Blue Linkia sea star yesterday and I thought that I asked all the right questions but I didn't research about acclimating prior to putting it in my tank.

The gent at the lfs stressed that the salinity must be at 1.025 and as I checked my tank that morning, I was right on the button. Unfortunately, I did not know about not exposing it to the air, the gent at lfs did, so a big deduction right off the start. I did buy the piece of liverock that it was attached to, so as not to stress it out. But I did not drip acclimate it and just placed it in my QT tank.

Then I read up on them.....

This am I rechecked my parameters and still like yesterday's, but I checked the tank water it came with and kt was at 1.024. Eek!!! Am I doomed? Anyone with experience?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Banned

fishyfishster is an unknown quantity at this point

the exposed to air thing is like a 50/50 chance tho
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

:/

Honestly, I just doublecheck salinity and dump them in. That's probably bad advice, but I've been doing it for years without issue.

Linkias are hardier than people give them credit for as long as they're shipped well. Just make sure you have a mature tank for them as they only feed on bacterial films.

The whole exposure to air thing is nonsense, IME.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post
So I bought this beautiful Blue Linkia sea star yesterday and I thought that I asked all the right questions but I didn't research about acclimating prior to putting it in my tank.

The gent at the lfs stressed that the salinity must be at 1.025 and as I checked my tank that morning, I was right on the button. Unfortunately, I did not know about not exposing it to the air, the gent at lfs did, so a big deduction right off the start. I did buy the piece of liverock that it was attached to, so as not to stress it out. But I did not drip acclimate it and just placed it in my QT tank.

Then I read up on them.....

This am I rechecked my parameters and still like yesterday's, but I checked the tank water it came with and kt was at 1.024. Eek!!! Am I doomed? Anyone with experience?
By not acclimatizing the linkia very slowly you hightly stressed the creature. All inhabitants need some degree of acclimatization. One can not simply throw them in IMO>

As was posted the importantant thing is to have a mature tank so they do not starve to death. You can slow add more salt to raise to saliity.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post
Am I doomed? Anyone with experience?
Maybe yes, maybe no :-)

The blue linckia is a very delicate starfish that does not easily tolerate sudden changes (oxygen level, pH, salinity, etc). This is why the fish store stressed that your tank be 1.025 because the LFS probably assumed that their tanks were 1.025. A very very very very slow drip acclimation period is recommended to help them adjust to your tank parameters. Or if the water that they are coming from is identical or near identical in parameters to your tank then you shouldn't need to acclimate for as long. Exposing them to air is typically not recommended but it isn't the end of the world. If the starfish is strong and healthy a brief spell out of the water shouldn't mean doom and gloom for your starfish so long as the the new water that they are going into has the same (or very close to the same) parameters as the water it came from.

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do about it at this point. Your new starfish is going to do what he's going to do, and that is, either live or die.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
One can not simply throw them in IMO>
OKAY.

I haven't done this hundreds of times. My bad. Oh no, wait...

Look, here's the real problem: Collecting and shipping use to really suck. I mean it was TERRIBLE. This was a few years back, so most of the Linkias entering the trade were already in a state of terminal health. So regardless of whether or not you spent the ten years acclimatizing them, they died. People go the impression that they were unreasonably sensitive.

Since then, collection techniques have improved, packing has improved and the overall health of the animals is much better than it use to be. As long as you take the time to make sure your salinities don't vary drastically, you will be fine. On the other hand, if you bought an animal that was already terminal, no amount of fussing over the acclimatization will save it from turning into a eroding slimy blue ball of snot.

TL : DR - there's no magic voodoo behind salinity. If your LFS has a salinity of 1.025 and you have the same, just float, cut and dump. Acclimate if it makes you sleep better at night. If your salinity varies by a point or two, acclimate, but it's probably not going to be a game breaker. If you salinity varies a lot, well, you shouldn't have purchased the animal in the first place.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I found out the hard way with a sand sifting star a few years ago. Didn't slow drip him and soon after he started dropping his arms until he finally died. Live and learn I guess.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
I found out the hard way with a sand sifting star a few years ago. Didn't slow drip him and soon after he started dropping his arms until he finally died. Live and learn I guess.
HONESTLY, if your water was within a point or two of difference, the star was probably already on its way out...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
OKAY.

I haven't done this hundreds of times. My bad. Oh no, wait...

Look, here's the real problem: Collecting and shipping use to really suck. I mean it was TERRIBLE. This was a few years back, so most of the Linkias entering the trade were already in a state of terminal health. So regardless of whether or not you spent the ten years acclimatizing them, they died. People go the impression that they were unreasonably sensitive.

Since then, collection techniques have improved, packing has improved and the overall health of the animals is much better than it use to be. As long as you take the time to make sure your salinities don't vary drastically, you will be fine. On the other hand, if you bought an animal that was already terminal, no amount of fussing over the acclimatization will save it from turning into a eroding slimy blue ball of snot.

TL : DR - there's no magic voodoo behind salinity. If your LFS has a salinity of 1.025 and you have the same, just float, cut and dump. Acclimate if it makes you sleep better at night. If your salinity varies by a point or two, acclimate, but it's probably not going to be a game breaker. If you salinity varies a lot, well, you shouldn't have purchased the animal in the first place.
I am happy you are an agreement with me.
Yes collection and shipment is much much better because of the efforts of the fishers and exporters.
But we as aquariists must also make the effort to insure that the sailnity, temperature and PH in the bag we bring from the LFS is the same as in our tanks. We can't assume it is the same. We accomplish this by slowly acclimatizing the linckia (fish or invert) so that the animal is not stressed.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

also keep in mind that there are two issues or challenges with Blue Linckias.

1. is the acclimation phase. The whole process of getting them into your tank comfortably. As Albert suggested, if the starfish has been handled with care then this acclimation phase should go smoothly without too much stress on the starfish. Otherwise it could go badly..

2. is the long term survivability phase. The whole process of making sure they stay alive in your tank. Keeping them long term is notoriously difficult for may reasons. This is another example of, "if it were easy everyone would have one".