Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road
Default CadLights 39G Signature

On Feb 4th I put in my order for a CadLights 39G Signature series plus cabinet. This is an all-in-one made in Brooklyn NY.

Since I have reaped a lot of benefits from others posting their tank builds and journals I will reciprocate in my own way by tracking my build here.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````

On Feb 20th the two packages were picked up by UPS. I have been provided with two tracking numbers. Both tracking numbers show the packages being picked up on Feb 20th. One package shows it leaving the UPS depot in New Jersey on Feb 22. It also shows that the final destination is Summerland. The 2nd package does not show leaving New Jersey or the ultimate destination.

Those of you experienced with UPS tracking - Is the web tracking reliable and meaningful? Or should I just await the phone call when it comes across the border?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

For now Oscar, I would probably wait it out as there is little that you can do until they arrive differently than when they were shipped (ie: 1 box instead of 2) UPS won't help you without initial delivery occuring.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 AM

Default Partial Delivery

Well the stand arrived on Thursday by UPS that is 7 days from Brooklyn. Using UPS website their anticipated delivery time is 8 days. Unfortunately it turns out their website tracking is not reliable, it still shows the stand as being in Brooklyn.

Unfortunately there was some damage in shipment. But Eddie at CadLights is in the process of finding me replacement parts.

UPS attempted to deliver the tank on Friday but I was not here to pay the brokerage and tax bill. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up from their depot some time next week. Their web tracking of the tank was very good. The tracking system showed all of the stops that it made over the last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3230 v2.jpg (21.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3237 v2.JPG (45.5 KB, 202 views)
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

Oscar, what's the latest news? You must have got your tank by now.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Default Testing the Tank

I picked up the tank on Wednesday morning from the local UPS delivery guy.

Today I set up the tank on my work bench and tested all of the components. I discovered that the skimmer has a broken piece that results in no skimming. The nipple that draws air into the skimmer pump was broken off. Otherwise everything else seems ok, no water leaks. I will let it run for a few days.

So now I am awaiting replacement parts for the aquarium stand and the skimmer.

But I am still very happy with my selection. It's right purtty.

I will just have to wait a few weeks more until I actually can add water and salt and get things moving forward.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Good to hear...I thought I might have influenced you a little in the CADLIGHTS direction and I didn't want to hear that it was a nightmare.

Next time I'm in Summerland, we'll have to connect so I can see this beauty.

Remember, you should be documenting this on camera so you can do a build thread.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Rear Chambers

I set up my Cad tank yesterday. As a newbie it is a little frustrating that with 4 rear chambers CadLights did not give any guidance on how to use them.

Hopefully you can see this image. I turned on only the actinics to reduce the reflection. So from left to right, while viewing from the rear, how do you suggest using these 4 chambers?

#1. This is shipped with bioballs installed. I was thinking of using these temporarily to get the bacteria count up as quickly as possible. If they are repacked in a mesh bag then they could all be removed and replaced wtih live rock rubble. 4" X 5" X 15" = 1.3G

#2. This appears designed for the skimmer. Someone suggested the UV light could also be installed in here. Although I am questioning using the UV light. It would kill both good and bad guys equally? 5.75" X 5" X 16" = 1.9G

#3. Refugium? The refugium light could be installed to shine from the top down or from the back. It is very deep, how best to utilize a deep refugium?
7" X 5" X 12.5" = 1.9G

#4. Return pump. Install heater here? 4.5" X 5" X15" = 1.5G

#5. (below refugia) 7.5" X 5" X 2" = 0.3G

Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Drill holes in a small covering plater over bioball chamber for better water distribution. I used an old CD cover. UV lamp Just fits into the chamber with the skimmer. I would have liked to put in a better skimmer but not enough room. An additional hydor1 in the tank improves circ alot. With the HQI light on I did not need to add a heater.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
Drill holes in a small covering plater over bioball chamber for better water distribution. I used an old CD cover. UV lamp Just fits into the chamber with the skimmer. I would have liked to put in a better skimmer but not enough room. An additional hydor1 in the tank improves circ alot. With the HQI light on I did not need to add a heater.
Fencer:

Better water distribution for where? Not clear on your concept here.

I was originally looking at the Hydor Nano at 240 gph. Is 400gph better for this tank?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I found that when the water enters the bioball chamber it channels so I put a sieve plate on top of the balls and then the filter mat