Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Nicknames - please note

Hi Guys,

[Moderator hat=on]

An issue has arisen lately regarding the use of "pet" names for stores instead of their real names.

I'm sorry that I have to ask this, but can we from now on, avoid the use of nicknames for stores; and please bear in mind that when we make references to any store, to keep those as personal, factua observations. Unfortunately when in publicly viewed threads, there can be unintended consequences to voiced unconfirmed suspicions, so unfortunately they cannot be voiced in a public forum such as this one.

Thank you for your attention, and your understanding on this matter.

cheers,
Your Friendly Neighbourhood (Calgary) Moderator.

PS. Moderator hat is now once again off.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:00 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Are we allowed to say something like,
"Big Al's sucks" for example?

:?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:08 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I believe that in the movie "Rainman", Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise said "Kmart sucks".....

:P

Mitch
Old 01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Again, if it's based on facts (like say hypothetically some LFS pour chlorine into their tanks), then yes you can post it here. But if it's based on personal assumptions, which may lead to possible debates that begin to spread and then becomes rumours, etc, then no.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:21 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

So "Big Als Sucks" BECAUSE..............
They sold me a fluval for my reef tank that wasnt nessecary would be ok?

Or BECAUSE..............
They told me that I needed 1000lbs of live rock for my 10g tank and when I took it home it didnt fit would be ok?
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 01-28-2003, 08:52 PM

What if you were a fish lover and you always saw dead and dying fish in their tanks? Could you make disparaging comments THEN?? Or would that still be speculation and rumour...

Serious question.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well, my take on this is, if that's what you saw, then nobody can stop you from saying that this what you saw. Just stick to the relevant facts, and, maybe try to present the information so that if the other party is on this board, that they will be able to at least participate afterwards, perhaps given an opportunity to respond, or take corrective measures if necessary.

The bottom line is, at least for me (and I say this just as an average person, not as a moderator now), that I would rather see a store with a reputation, be allowed a chance to redeem themselves and earn a new reputation; rather than go out of business. It's not in our best interests, as consumers, to see our vendors go out of business. I am all for second chances. I know I need many myself.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 PM

Pretty much a moot point anyways. I go to Wai's and Ocean because they're handy. Very glad I don't have to drive down south, to be disappointed yet again at Big Al's.

Perhaps the point is to use the stores' proper names. If someone wants some opinions, they're easy to get.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:53 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Alan, this is a fairly serious issue really. What we are asking is that if you want to make a comment about Big Al's don't say, "they suck". Say, "I prefer not to shop at Big Al's because..." and list some relevant facts. Unless you're receiving an oral massage from fishroom girl or boy then Big Al's sucking is off the table. Kapeche? :twisted:

In regards to floating fish, this is a relevant observation. I'd say; "It appears to me that the majority of times I visit ________, their tanks are in horrible condition with dead fish often floating around. Despite numerous attempts at explaining my concerns, I've not noticed an improvement." Unless the shop we're talking about has their employees dressed in high heels, panty hoes and garters there's no need for any moniker.

lusus naturae
Old 01-28-2003, 10:12 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F
Unless the shop we're talking about has their employees dressed in high heels, panty hoes and garters there's no need for any moniker.
you say that like there is such a shop and you are holding out on us :shock:

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.