Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road
Default SPS frag selling guidelines v1.2

The last reefers meeting we talked about some hobbyist selling guidelines for frags. Below are some suggestions. Please feel free to comment and I will compile the ideas:

Guidelines for SPS Frag selling/buying V 1.2

1. Declare lighting conditions picture was taken
- the camera can also make a difference, with white balance
- Disclosure if picture was "photoshopped"
- Picture of the mother colony if possible

2. Frags should be at least 1/2 inch or larger or an accurate size measurement should be posted
- size helps the survivability

3. Frags should be pest free / iodine dipped ( at the buyer or the seller end )
- dipped the corals before packaging since this would increase the corals' stress during shipping
- should really be the buyer who does the dipping because in the end the only one you can trust is yourself

4. Frags should be on established bases( sometimes not possible)
- frags should be established and healed before being sold
- Coral growing on the plug is a good indication of health
- Sometimes it is not possible to establish growth on the plug...sometimes I frag/mount/sell this is
more a time issue.
- unmounted frags are less stressed

5. Price is what the market will bear
- guideline for pricing is approximately 1/2-2/3 market value
- the point is supporting others in the hobby and keeping the private trade alive by offering pieces at non retail prices.
- hobbyist prices should not be over 30.00/Frag...anything over...it better be rare

6. Return policy up to the seller / buyer
- communication is key idea and if I knew the person I would be more keen on giving
another frag should the original have problems.
- For private buying and selling there is always risk on each side of the fence, and there should always
be an agreement of expectations before the transaction is made.
- Canreef is not a forum for disputes. Deal with them though other means before going public

7. Buyer beware. ie: you going to buy a frag from a member that has no pics or reputation.
- Word of mouth is probably the best thing.
- Ask other Canreefer,s privately what they think

Notable comments

1. The biggest point I see in selling frags is just to keep "backups" of your colonies and in the end I
think it helps protect the wild colonies and your own. If something should happen to your tank (ie crash,
flood, pests etc) and you lost your most prized piece I would hope that there would be someone out there
with a frag that's able to replace your colony. I would argue that it probably won't bring profit unless
done on a large scale and in the end I believe helping others whether it'd be a neat coral or helping a
beginner out in return some of them will help you out when you need it. Of course there will be people
looking to make big bucks selling tiny tiny frags or people that will take advantage of that I don't mind
because most of the reefing community in large is quite nice and friendly.

2. For what it's worth, I might consider referring to this guide as more of a 'code of ethics' since that's really what it's all about.

3. I think the main point about pricing frags is to be reasonable about it. A 1 eye chalice frag may be worth $250 but keep in mind that it is mostly non limited sps (ie not ORA, Tyrees, GARF Purple Bonsai etc) we are talking about, just colourful pieces without a "special" name. The rare LPS supply is still quite small and there's a substantial demand for pieces and that would justify some of the prices. IMO I don't think its fair to give someone a single polyp and hope it survives for some ridiculous price even if it was well established and personally I wouldn't blow $250 on a single polyp, eye, etc "rare" frag no matter how pretty it is. Livestock doesn't depreciate in our tanks but the point is supporting others in the hobby and keeping the private trade alive by offering pieces at non retail prices.

Last edited by fencer; 07-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

1. the camera can also make a difference, with white balance...
2. why would you place restrictions on size, some grow slow some grow fast... the rarer, and harder to grow one's will sometimes be smaller which is preferrable to lower a price to obtainable for some people...
3. I hope you guys didnt think long and hard over this one.
4. you always run the risk of pest's, ignorant or not, I like to believe if people knowingly have something they will make mention of it. Regardless, this is more at the buyers end to inspect and treat before adding to their tank.
5. alot of people recommend tossing the base of aquacultured coral's.
6. refer to 3.

most people ive seen selling are not for profit but for space issues, the more difficult it is, the less likely they will hit the next persons hand rather then the trash.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I think communication between buyer and seller is of utmost importance. I believe all sellers should have an arrive alive shipping guarantee provided the package arrives on time and as agreed upon. If the package arrives late, then it would be the buyer's responsibility to buy insurance. Sometimes insurance isn't available for live shipments in which case I think buyers should be refunded/credited for the value of the frags minus shipping. For private buying and selling there is always risk on each side of the fence, and there should always be an agreement of expectations before the transaction is made.

Personally, I like to buy unmounted SPS frags as I find they tend to ship better, and I can choose what they get mounted to. I would also be rather PO'd if the seller dipped the corals before packaging since this would increase the corals' stress during shipping. I think dipping should remain the buyer's choice...I have received infested corals from vendors as well as private sales. A good guideline for pricing is approximately 1/2-2/3 market value (which is debatable).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 07-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM

reason 2 was to prevent somebody from selling "skin flap" Also I would never buy yet a quarter inch frag. It would have to be pretty rare. The larger the frag the better the survivial rate

I personally hate bases but I ask if people want them...but I factor in the price of the base
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Pricing for a hobbyist selling frags I would be hard pressed to charge anybody more than 30.00. A retailer might differ. Again what ever the market will bear.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Good idea you have here. But who is really going to buy from someone without seeing pics of their tank and reading some of their posts. After being on this site for a while a person begins to figure out who's a dipchit and who is'nt even though we really are complete strangers to each other. Not trying to put a downer on your plan or start a debate but it would be to hard to police such a thing. It's up to the buyer to do their own asking of the product before they purchase it. Buyer beware. ie: you going to buy a frag from lets say Kein or Whatcaneyedo or some junior member that has no pics or reputation. Word of mouth is probably the best thing.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Aside from the unwanted personal contact getting frags from Kein was a great experience.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Aside from the unwanted personal contact getting frags from Kein was a great experience.
Unwanted? That's pretty much the only reason I go over to his house, I throw his frags in the front planter on the way out .
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Moved this to the Lounge as it's not really an ad.

Is this something for your local clubs though? We could move it into the locality forum as such. I assume you're not talking about making these rules on Canreef because I am not going to enforce these rules without a 6 figure salary with huge bonuses regardless of yearly performance (it turns out the Health Superboard CEO job is already taken, darn it all).
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Tony this is why these are guidelines. These are for personal use, not Canreef Forums / policy. This sort arose when at the local meeting when someone had mentioned they paid a lot of bucks essentially for a frag plug.