Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default Flooring choice for basement/tank area

I'm doing my basement and had a question for the handy folks on here.

I'm laying down dricore subflooring on top of my concrete foundation. What I finish the room with is still up in the air

1. Carpet
2. Engineered hardwood

I know it's generally bad to lay down real hardwood in a basement but I have heard from some that the engineered stuff is ok? Tank and fishroom are vented outside so the basement won't be anymore humid than a normal basement.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Engineered is fine in basements, you just float it over a membrane or some kind of liner. However for a tank area my vote would be for a tile.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I have the option (and the tiles) to lay a row around the tank. You're saying for spills in the viewing area?

Fishroom will just be sealed concrete.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Yeah pretty much for spills or seepage from a larger leak or spill in the fish room. I do like the look of tile but it can be a little cold and hard in the basement. My preference would based on how the space is used and what the rest of the house had. Carpet is nice and cozy and will be what I use in my basement since the rest of the house is hardwood but I would use hardwood if most of the house was carpet. Hardwood is much easier to clean as well so if it will see a lot of traffic it may be a better choice, but if you have a dog it scratches however still better for cleaning and allergy issues (if any).
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Since my office is just a desk off the end of the tank I'd prefer a hard surface to slide my chair on. I'd rather not do carpet and then tile just my office corner. Dog doesn't come downstairs.

I'll be redoing the upper floor a few years down the road so I'm not concerned about matching anything up there. Carpet will be a bit warmer and of course cheaper but I won't install it myself whereas with the engg hardwood I'd install myself which is appealing.

Sounds like I should do tile around the tank no matter which I choose (carpet or wood). The tank stand has a 3" lip around it so spills might not make it down to the floor.

Are you doing stairs as well? This creates a real delima between safety and ease of cleaning.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Are you doing stairs as well? This creates a real delima between safety and ease of cleaning.
Yes the stairs need to be done. Hence me not wanting to do carpet since I won't touch stairs...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Price difference really depends, carpet isn't always cheaper depending on the type, same goes for hardwood. Engineered wood ranges from $2 to $12 plus install and carpet is usually starts at about $5 including install but can get much more expensive.

therealshark is on a distinguished road

i just redid my basement and used a new product made by expresso. it is the same as engineered in the sense of being plank style but it is a vinyl instead of press board. there is a couple of different companies making vinyl flooring now, it is durable and i cant see why it wouldnt last a very long time.
i have installed laminate flooring and this expresso is far easier to install.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealshark View Post
i just redid my basement and used a new product made by expresso. it is the same as engineered in the sense of being plank style but it is a vinyl instead of press board. there is a couple of different companies making vinyl flooring now, it is durable and i cant see why it wouldnt last a very long time.
i have installed laminate flooring and this expresso is far easier to install.
expresso is the brand? do you have a link? That sounds really smart.