Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-17-2001, 12:38 AM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish
Default Calcium reactor flow meter

Does anyone know if there is a Canadian distributor for Dwyer flow control meters or an equivalent? I saw a thread on rc that someone said they are an easy and accurate way to control co2 input to your calcium reactor. Apparently the flow control has a needle valve and measures co2 in cc/min, worth approx. $35 US. Better than a bubble counter so they say... I cannot for the life of me think of any local precision instrument companies. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
thanks
Old 11-17-2001, 01:28 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I have the Dwyer flowmeter that is used for this purpose Dwyer RMA 151-SSV 0-50cc min.

I gave up using it as it wasn't as sensitive as I thought. I prefer the needle valve setup. I think it depends on the quality of the regulator and the size of the regulator.

If you are interested I will sell it. Not looking for more than 15.00 and I will include the shipping as well.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:53 AM

Are you using a bubble counter now? I was thinking of building a reactor, Sanjay Joshi has a DIY reactor on Aqualink, and he liked the Dwyer flow meter. Said it was cheaper but did not say it was better. I guess I am looking for the best way to do the co2 injection. Price is right for your flow meter tho.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2001, 02:59 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I originally got the idea to use the flowmeter from Sanjay's web site as well. I e-mailed him and he stated that he runs the flowmeter around 20 cc a min.

With my setup and regulator I had to just barely crack the knob on the flowmeter to make it work.

I use a bubble counter and planned on using the flowmeter to replace a needle valve. I prefer the needle valve because it takes up less space and I can get a finer adjustment with my regulator setup.

Whether the flometer will work depends on the quality of your regulator. You could use it to replace a needle valve, but I would still recommend a bubble counter.

-=Bryan=-
Old 11-19-2001, 03:14 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Yes there is at least one distributor in town for Dwyer. When I designed my ca reactor, I originally planned on using a flow meter as well. However, the Dwyer flow meters I tested, and the ones in their catalogue, doesn't allow a low CO2 flow. Maybe things have changed this year.

Titus
Old 11-19-2001, 05:18 PM

Thanks Bryan and Titus, That helps. I am going to think about it for a while, probably build the reactor then decide. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Bruce, I'm just building a reactor now. We should get together and compare notes. I was going to do the joshi one but now I'm working on something a little different.