Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default What sort of algae is this?

Well I believe this was introduced in my tank through some frags and is now out competing my chaeto. I also have a remora skimmer 24/7 but produce very dark skimmate only like half the cup over a week.

Its mainly growing in patches on my substrate and some noticeable patches at the back of the tank. Nothing I would call an algae breakout but well, its there!

I was thinking of using algae x to get ride of it.

P.S. My nutrients are, I would say, under control and has been undetectable by API; before and after this algae.

Advice please

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert but I do know that one issue with testing your water is that the algae itself can use up the nutrients which then gives you a reading that seems "fine". if the algae is growing winnning vs your skimmer and cheato you have to be providing it with food to allow this. Without fixing that you will continue to have an algae issue .

Looks like a hair algae to me. Hand pick as much as you can, pluck it from the rocks and "vacume it up when you do your water changes also. Find and eliminjate the source of the nutrients its using. Do more water changes but be sure your R/O is not in need of a filter change.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Looks like bryopsis
Is it fern like?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bryop...w=1024&bih=672
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm not an expert but I do know that one issue with testing your water is that the algae itself can use up the nutrients which then gives you a reading that seems "fine". if the algae is growing winnning vs your skimmer and cheato you have to be providing it with food to allow this. Without fixing that you will continue to have an algae issue .

Looks like a hair algae to me. Hand pick as much as you can, pluck it from the rocks and "vacume it up when you do your water changes also. Find and eliminjate the source of the nutrients its using. Do more water changes but be sure your R/O is not in need of a filter change.
Yap I know about the no reading with algae in and hence pointed out "before and after this algae" :P

Yah I was also thinking it as hair algae but wanted to be sure. I am very sure that the nutrients were balance previously and hence the source is just the source that used to be for chaeto but now this bugger is taking chaeto out of business. The source must have been some of the frags with these buggers on!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM

Nop. Its thin and stringy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
Looks like bryopsis
Is it fern like?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bryop...w=1024&bih=672

Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

its bryopsis............100%
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
its bryopsis............100%
What to do now?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
What to do now?

fry it up it tastes delicious lol

h2o2 dip
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
fry it up it tastes delicious lol

h2o2 dip
Na I prefer chicken fry that I am making for dinner :P

Its on the sand, how can I do peroxide dip :P Maybe a nudibranch or something? I am definite that it came from some frags and not just grew out of high nutrients. I had some bubble algaes (came from frags too LOL) and they have died off but these buggers keeps on popping up so I am guessing its out competing the chaeto.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Na I prefer chicken fry that I am making for dinner :P

Its on the sand, how can I do peroxide dip :P Maybe a nudibranch or something? I am definite that it came from some frags and not just grew out of high nutrients. I had some bubble algaes (came from frags too LOL) and they have died off but these buggers keeps on popping up so I am guessing its out competing the chaeto.

dude its like 5 strands lol....... pluck it out , you can add a nudibranch but its gonna take you about a month to find a lettuce nudi and maybe he will starve before he finds that tiny amount.

honestly reach in and pull it , if its not there it cant feed, keep on it and it stays gone

nutrients are feeding it and its not out competing your cheato as bryopsis needs very little nutrients to survive

cheers

denny