View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Ultimately I think what has helped me is/was simplifying and automating my setup. Granted, everyone has their own interpretation of what's "simple" but for me simple is not having to do anything on a daily basis. When I first started this tank I was all gung-ho and dumping in all sorts of ZeoVit stuff and manually adding additives (alk/calc). This wore me down because there are a crap load of other things that need my attention. Eventually I got a doser for my additives and I stopped using those zeovit bottles. Keep in mind that I am in no way saying that ZeoVit doesn't work! It does, I'm just too lazy for it. Got an autofeeder for my fish. For nutrient control I use bioPellets because to me they are the easiest to use. Dump a bunch of pellets into a reactor and let it tumble for months. I don't touch that pellet reactor for probably 6-8 months.

Now a days I can easily go 3-4 days without even touching my tank for any reason whatsoever.

Mind you, all that automation costs money, so I'm back to my original answer I guess.
+1, simplicity, automation and patience (introduce fish or coral not too fast) is the key for this hobby. I only look at my tank when i feel stressful these days and cleaning the tank only one weekend for 1 or 2 hour to helps me forget about my daily problem with works , kids...

If you have to pay attention to your tank every day, then that amount of works will take away the fun of having the tank. It now becomes works not hobby.

I suggest you stepped back and have FOWLR tank to reduce the works that you have to put into your tank. You can go without water change for like couple weeks easily or throw in some hardy softies coral like GSP, muhsroom, leather coral.

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)

ALSO- I found it weird that people never mentioned about controller when setting up tank, only talk about awesome skimmer or lightning. True that you need good skimmer and lightning but controller is as important in this hobby IMO, it reduces lots of works and peace of mind when you are away from your tank which makes this hobby more enjoyable and last longer. There is no fun in it if it is not enjoyable right???? hmmm talking my self into hurry up finish my new tank so i can enjoy it. LOL

Last edited by Coleus; 01-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.