Thread: Cyano and LEDs?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Well, as of this morning I've changed my mind about the lights. I definately think, as MarkoD suggested (and Denny backed up), that the spectrum shift contributed to serious cyano growth in a very short period of time. I see a lot in the tank, and normally I don't see any (except for one patch that is in a place I can't get a hose) before the lights come on.

I'm doing a two day "storm" (just keeping the tank lights off: not a complete blackout). I was hoping to wake this morning and find it all gone thanks to the Chemiclean, no such luck. Apparently I've read a few too many steller reviews. I did find one poll online where Chemiclean didn't work for 14% of respondents. I hope my system isn't in that 14%.

It is kind of hard to tell with the lights off, but I think everything survived the night. With the two air pumps (running three airstones) pH only dipped to 7.98, which is 0.16 points higher than it had been dipping at night lately.

I think, if I read the instructions correctly, that I can turn my carbon back on at 6:20 pm tonight (24hours), and then do the 20% water change when I get home from work tomorrow night.