View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Switching Lights . . . Best way to do it?

My T5s are about ready to be replaced in the next couple of months. I've been humming and hawing over what I'd like to do for LEDs for this system (36x18x16). I finally gave up on my indecision and just ordered two AI Sol Blues from Modular LED.

I purchased the EXT rail and hanging kit for them, as well as the AquaIlluminations to VDM Adapter Cable (to hook them up to my Apex, so I can dim and control them).

The tank has four ATi 36" T5 bulbs (2 blue+, 1 purple+, 1 coral+) which sit on top of it, and I'm running a 12 hour light cycle (to compensate for the fact that the tank really does need 6 T5s at the least with my covers). It is mostly LPS, with some softies and SPS (which need more light than what they're getting).

Should I just start by running a ramping program and mounting the two Sol fixtures really high and slowly lowering them?

The T5s are total of 156W. The LEDs are a total of 48W. Any ideas as to how the two compare: would 156W of t5s be less PAR than 48W of LEDs driven at 100%?