View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

One of the "salvage" parts of this build is the stand.

It is one of those old cabinet end tables, that my parents purchased from Sears in 1976. We lived on CFS Holberg (now closed down) at the time, on the north-western tip of Vancouver Island (by Coal Harbour).

Here's the date from the bottom of the table.

Now, I know the table is ugly. I don't want to discard it, and I think it will make a very functional stand for this build.

Here's the back before I started hacking it up.

The first hole . . . and the rest of the holes laid out in black china marker.

The top holes are for the cables running into the stand. The bottom holes are for the cables running out of the stand.

I learned how to use a jigsaw (it made my hand numb) . . .

A little crooked . . .

The rectangular cut out is for a vent.

The stain isn't a perfect match . . . but the vent was "salvage" too. It should perform its job.

These fans from Modular LED are being mounted on the inside of the vent (to disapate humidity from the topup reservoir and the heat from the Apex and powerbars:
http://www.modularled.ca/antec-truequiet-120mm/
I'm short a fan power adapter and power supply, but those are now on route from Martin. I should have them tomorrow of the next day. Then I'll get the fans installed.

Cheap black schedule 40 bulkheads are going into the holes, to pretty them up a bit and to protect the wires. I ordered those cheap off of eBay. I'm sure they'll get here eventually.

The tank is a nice fit on this table. I'm kind of thinking that the table needs to be painted black . . . but I'm on the fence about actually doing it.