View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Tank took a big hit last year. Fall of 2012 saw some hair algae move in after using a phosphate reducer that wiped out some corals. I suspect the stuff slowly leached out of the rock or something. Where it came from I have no idea, I haven't had hair algae problems since I started in the hobby. It started out as a small patch that I wasn't worried about as the fish picked at it and I thought they'd take care of it. I didn't pay much attention and then the next thing I knew it was everywhere. By february the tank looked like this:

I went on the hunt for a seahare and ended up sharing one with another local reefer, her tank was smaller so she took him first. By the time I got him into my tank though, I was already losing corals as I couldn't get the algae pruned and scrubbed fast enough. The seahare finally went in and cleaned every last bit of algae from the tank over the next few months, and I mean EVERY last bit, even the turf algae and various other algaes I've had for ages. It was like I had started out with new rock. Crazy awesome. However I didn't have very many corals left. By then I had a new baby to deal with and tank maintenance was chucking some food at the fish nightly (if I remembered) and it wasn't long before the cyano set in and the last of the SPS were on their way out. I have 2 colonies left and a few LPS. The tank was looking pretty bare and it was pretty depressing. I finally decided to give it another go. The fish are sticking around so might as well have the tank looking decent

So heres the tank as it looks tonight. I added a bunch of frags courtesy of Brad on Sunday night and I will be working on getting the last of the cyano out of there. Turkey basting and waterchanges etc. Fun stuff.

Man that is a crappy photo. Looks ok on my phone LOL! Anyways you get the idea

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.