View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 07:18 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default The Dirty Sps Tank

Since day 1 of starting this hobby(almost 2 yrs) I've always been told in order to keep a successful reef tank, especially a sps dominate tank I would have to keep my nitrates and phosphates at 0. Recently I stumbled across a thread on another forums that there's a lot of ppl experimenting or keeping their tanks long term with nitrates about 5-10ppm with their sps colors deepening to an amazing Pop within as little as a week. They either increase their fish load or feed a ton. Some even dose liquid nitrates to keep their systems that way. And then there's also WWC Corals Flordia that Keeps their 300g display tank at 30-40ppm and it is nth but amazing. There are a few that runs their skimmer on a timer and claims that having nitrates higher also decreased their phosphate levels and was able to put their Gfo reactor offline, but I'm not sure how that works. Always thought nitrates and phosphates run in correlations. Of course you have to monitor every step of the way if you want this to be successful. I think too fast and too much will for sure brown out corals. So the question is. How many of you are running "The dirty sps tank"? For how long? And what are your results?