View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm not sure whether to be ticked off or relieved or a bit embarassed. I took the sump apart this morning, even had to cut a pipe (the drain from the tank standpipe, it was problematic) to get the sump out. I pried off the trim from the area that was leaking and couldn't find a bloody thing. There was a bit of water in the tank still and nothing was coming through. I was thinking it was due to the weight of the water maybe? Then I followed the water trail....from the through hull fitting (to the return pump). Damned thing wasn't tight and that was where the leak was (also noted that my sump isn't level as the water was appearing like 6" away from that point which is why I was thinking it was the tank itself). At some point it let go some and likely cracked/dislodged the silicone I had sealed it with. I thought tightening it would be enough but after filling the sump with enough water to submerge it, it was apparent it needed to be resiliconed. So I have done that. I guess the bonus is that my sump hasn't been this clean since I started the tank. I cleaned the skimmer too and all the equipment and junk that was lurking beneath the tank (and a couple creepy crawly spiders).

Note to self: don't freak out so bad next time. Although its really hard to think logically after sleeping in 2h shifts for the last couple months.

So my next question is, whats the minimum cure time for silicone before I can fill the sump back up and get the tank running again. I'd rather not leave it overnight if I don't have to (but if I do, I do. Will have to remember to add an airstone for the angel).

Thank you to all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate them. I'll be looking into that Orca underwater glue. Also we have no tank builders near us but the local buy and sells (craigslist, kijiji, usedwhereever) are quite active and Brad scoped me out a couple of replacement options. So glad I don't have to go that route (I hope!!)

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.