View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Sorry, but I missed what brand pellet reactor you have? Mine is the Vertex UF-20 using a Mag 5 pump, but also running through my chiller. It has 3/4 diameter tubing, so can handle quite a bit of flow. It is tall, and takes a very small footprint, which I like, too.

I replaced (as recommended for bio pellets) the top and bottom foam screens with mesh. If I left the foam ones in place, for sure they would clog. When I fill it with 1000 ml pellets, it is tumbling about 2 inches below the top, but not high enough to stick to the mesh screen and clog.

I do wash the pellets in warm water and soak over night first before adding to the reactor. I started off very slowly, though, and took about a month or more, before I filled it up to the top. And I use that MB7 as mentioned before.

But, no, have never had them clog, and always tumbled nicely, even after a few power outages (up to 6 hours), they always started up fine. And I don't have any mulm anywhere, in my tank, or sump. I also feed the output of my reactor to the input of my skimmer.
I use vertex pellets and Deltec fr 509 reactor with MJ 1200. I soak my pellets over night too. Maybe i should plump the outlet right into my skimmer and share the same skimmer feeding pump.

Gonna try that and see. Thanks for sharing your experience