View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 PM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default BIG TROUBLE!! Need advice please.

If this hobby will ever make me have a nervous breakdown, today will be the day. I'm on nightshift, I NEED sleep today, and I come home to this. 2 days ago I recieved a high end frag pack in the mail... awesome frags. Come home today, and 2 of 11 are half dead... I frag the parts of them that are salvagable,and then look at the rest of the frag tank. I've got 3 colonies in there... RTN. Oh no! Check the display with a flash light, and there is one colony and one frag RTN. OH NO!

I've know for a while that I've got chemistry problems (see my other post) but everything seemed to be doing OK. In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have added $440 worth of frags right now, but my impulses got the best of me. For the record, I don't think that it was adding the frags that caused this.

Anyways, here are the facts... short version.

ph 8.26 - very stable. Got as high as 8.52, but came down.
Kh - 14 Was at 5, struggled to get it to 7, and then it sky rocketed to almost 15... I've been doing water changes (I'm now out of salt) to try to get it down to normal levels.
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 (as clear as can be, Hagen)
Phosphates - 0.10 (hanna)
Mg - 1850 The Mg skyrocketed with no explanation that I can find. It hit 1850, and will not come down no matter what I do.
Ca - 200
I stopped dosing Mg weeks ago, it still climbed for a while, it has now stablized at 1850
I stopped dosing Ca and Alk about a week and a half ago... Ca dropped significantly from 400 to 200... Alk has been slowly dropping to it's current state.

I've got hair algae coming out of my yang (only in the frag tank). Many pieces in the frag tank are RTN. Polyp extension through the system went from amazing 3 days ago to little colurful skeletons now. Fish seem to be fine. I've lost 5 of 6 shrimp and 2 emerald crabs.

PLEASE HELP!!

What do I do? I'm lost, and to be perfectly honest, due to this situation, and problems with equipment, I really wish that I didn't buy this tank.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924