View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Having moved from this area just over a year ago now, I'm unfortunately not surprised.
I just cannot understand this rationale. I could more so understand the countries of origin banning as this potentially hurts their country, but what harm comes to vernon for allowing fish?
Just out of curiosity what lfs closed up? I used to shop at them quite frequently.
Complete Pet Mart by Okanagan Glass has gone out of business.

Appears I've opened up quite a discussion here, many very valid points including the one about the fact that freshwater is mostly aquacultured whereas saltwater is not. Nevertheless, I think it really boils down to responsible pet ownership and that can't be legislated. The RCMP and most other police forces are far too busy with more important things than to raid people's homes looking for exotics. I reckon Vernon will need to hire a few more bylaw officers to patrol our homes, ha ha.

Anyhow, I went through the rigamarole to register with some comment website so I could add my two cents worth to the comments on the article I linked to. Here's what I submitted:

"That's quite a list of animals to consider banning. So where do we draw the line in our quest to appease the animal rights advocates. When it comes right down to it, what's the difference between keeping a so called 'exotic' animal and the conventionally accepted pets such as dogs & cats. Provided the animal is properly cared for, to me, there is no difference. Certainly some exotic pets pose additional challenges in proper care, but when you look at the lack of care some of our domestic pets receive, a ban on some 'experts' list of exotics makes no sense. Common sense dictates that not too many folks would consider keeping an alligator on their premises. A ban on irresponsible pet owners maybe."