Thread: Electrical Q
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Q

Earlier today I set up a mag 7 on a reactor. Everything was fine. The mag 7 is plugged into my aquatronica power bar. During a water change I turned off everything in the sump (I do my waterchanges via the sump) did my waterchange and restarted everything. Upon restart of the mag 7, the GFCI tripped. I thought it odd but turned off power to the halides (they suck the most power 2x250W) and tried again, tripped the GFCI again.

I unplugged the mag 7 and tried plugging it directly into the GFCI, tripped again. I then plugged the mag 7 into a non GFCI circuit and it works fine.

However, now I'm wondering wtf is up with the mag 7. Is it leaking power? I have no grounding probe.

Its my understanding that it doesn't take much to trip a GFCI but it takes more to trip a breaker? The plug is completely dry. Why did it work fine earlier and now its causing problems?

So my question is, if something trips a GFCI and not a breaker, should I be removing it from my tank or is it just "one of those things" and its probably fine. The fish look fine however I don't want to wake up in the morning to a bunch of dead or wonky looking fish.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.