View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty
I did consider the external wavebox however, that would have to be a custom deal as I don't trust my own work and the tank is already assembled and ready to go. At this point if they broke the tank drilling it I would be SOL as I don't have the money to buy a new one (those days are long over sadly, hello mortgage payments!).

As well, I will be going with the same style of framing you have as I think it looks damned fine and I love the idea of being able to take the top of the frame off for access into the tank. However, I'll be doing my own thing as I've lusted after a full 6 feet for so long, there is no freaking way I'll be hiding 6" on either side...thats a whole foot!!!

I'm still working on the whole flush/recessed mount. Mostly we're trying to figureo out how the stand will work if we do go with a flush mount. So the wall will have to be beefed up, however I don't really want the stand as part of the wall and my husband is convinced that offsetting the tank on the stand will create new pressure points that won't be supported. Beats me, I just said it would be fine but he isn't convinced

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.