Thread: Sump Baffles
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
I have built a few sumps now and with a "Herbie" style drain baffles are not really required. The only important baffles in my opinion are the ones that separate your skimmer from the rest of the sump. Without these you cannot keep your skimmer in a constant level of water which I feel makes the skimmer run less efficiently. Also if your skimmer is not recirculated it may be more prone to sucking up 'critters' without a separate skimmer chamber/compartment. Just my two bits.
I absolutely agree with what Skimmin said. The first sump that I had did not have baffles and I could never get my skimmer adjusted properly because the water level was constantly changing and unless you have some kind of auto top off hooked up to your sump the water level is never going to be constant. Even with an ATO it will still vary enough to cause fluctuations with most protein skimmers. Personnaly I would always want to have baffles in my sump even if the flow was low enough not to cause micro bubble issues.