View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 06:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

My buddy upgraded from a 45 to a 90 a little while ago. We noticed that even moving the sand bed from one side of the room to the other pretty much killed it. It took several weeks for the worm trails and copopods to reappear. Basically you are stiring all of the bacteria that live at different depths into one big mess, and this causes at least most of the bacteria to die off.

If I were you I would take this opportunity to rinse the sandbed with clean salt water to cut down on the amount of waste you would be moving to the new tank. Don't worry about nitrifying bacteria, you will have lots left in your live rock and your old tank water, assuming that you are move some of that too.

Like I said, this is just what I'd do because I believe that the sandbed will die off any way.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041