Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lockrookie's 50g tank build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428)

Doug 06-30-2010 02:52 AM

Great build thread. And a build thread it is. :D

Good job on the overflow. Love the back wall. Looks like a very good job.

Wayne 06-30-2010 03:04 AM

That is an awsome wall! I very well might consider something like that for my next tank. Any worries about the polyurethane foam leaching chemicals in to the water?

lockrookie 06-30-2010 03:32 AM

from what i read no, the epoxy seals it and protects it from uv that could break down the foam but from all the threads on reef central no one has had any problems whatsoever and some made walls for over 165g tanks. much more involved than my teeny wall in comparison. maybe i should test it with damsels just in case..... hehehe j/k

Wayne 06-30-2010 01:31 PM

Well thats awsome then!

4lti7ude 06-30-2010 06:27 PM

Rock walls are siiick
Nice construction on the overflow. Looks like its OEM :biggrin:

Question about the rock wall tho. How heat proof is the great stuff?

kevNnic 06-30-2010 06:39 PM

looking great so far!

lockrookie 06-30-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4lti7ude (Post 531437)
Rock walls are siiick
Nice construction on the overflow. Looks like its OEM :biggrin:

Question about the rock wall tho. How heat proof is the great stuff?

how do you mean heat proof? i dont plan on burning it:) and it will be submersed in water and i would think it should handle the heat of a tank from the threads ive read no one has had any issues that i know of and my heater itself will be in the sump not touching it. i can tell you its hot today and its been baking outside nothing seems to be swelling or shrinking due to it. and its out side right now until i get it soaking in water to help remove the smell hopefully of the fiberglass resin

and thank you for the compliment all of you it was a first try. i really should hjave tested a piece of glass first before i just started in on it. but i got excited. and lucked out

Polscot 07-08-2010 06:48 PM

epoxy

im bulding a foam wall right now also, what epoxy did u use, will Elmers spray adhesive work? how do i know what kind im aloud to use

Greenmaster 07-09-2010 12:01 AM

Looks like a good build I will be watching.

lockrookie 07-09-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polscot (Post 533150)
im bulding a foam wall right now also, what epoxy did u use, will Elmers spray adhesive work? how do i know what kind im aloud to use

i actually used fiberglass resin it seemed to work alright i had to do 3 coats to get the effect i wanted. i brushed on the resin and rubbed sand into it with bits of seashells. true test will be when the tank is running:) i wouldnt use a spray myself i dont think it will get thick enough to mix with the sand. the can of resin was only 17 dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmaster (Post 533214)
Looks like a good build I will be watching.

thank you its been fun thus far. currently working part 2 diy rock sculpture/return flow. im trying to hide the return lines within the rock pile with a flat rock shelf to use as a frag rack. hopefully i will get enough flow from the return pump i wont need to use any power heads or in the least very little power heads.

and i am following your build as well very cool tank