Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   rs80 or rs100? need reviews fast, thanks! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42207)

bv_reefer 05-22-2008 03:09 AM

rs80 or rs100? need reviews fast, thanks!

hey guys, i phoned in ocean aquatics today and all they had in was the rs135, obviously overkill, wendell mentioned however that the rs80's and 100's are coming in as of next week, and i finally saved up to get one :mrgreen: , what i'm wondering however is whether the extra few bucks is worth kicking over for the rs100? i'm wondering about ppl's experience with this because of the short and wide body design of the 100, thanks in advance-

by the way it's a 33 gallon(sps dominant) and i should also throw in the fact that i'm starting zeo and need a skimmer that'll comply well with this system-

dreef 05-22-2008 03:29 AM

euroreef

I'd look to the future,and get the bigger model.don't get me wrong the 80 would be more than enough for you.I luv my euro..they really pull out the nasty noog.Never know when you'll get a bigger tank......

Sebae again 05-22-2008 03:40 AM

The 100 has a larger pump . I have one on my 90 gallon and it works great. for the extra $ 30 or so it's absolutely worth it. So when you upgrade to a 90 gal in a year or so, you're all set.

bv_reefer 05-22-2008 03:56 AM

thanks, just the reviews i'm looking for..so.. is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?

Myka 05-22-2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bv_reefer (Post 325307)
is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?

Well it is rated for a bigger tank. ;) But ya, it is definately a tad more efficient. The RS-100 is my favourite model.

sphelps 05-22-2008 04:37 AM

I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.

bv_reefer 05-22-2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 325319)
I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.

thanks can't explain how much that helped!
i actually found an rc-80 for a decent deal, what do you think about these as opposed to RS's? i noticed as you mentioned the use of multiple smaller pumps, such as on the RC's..

sphelps 05-22-2008 01:32 PM

Never actually seen an RC80 but the RC models are definitely better than the RS, they have better craftsmanship and use the better Ehiem pumps. They can be used external, is that your plan?

andresont 05-22-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 325319)

Same thinking here...
I don’t know why so people tend to overlook air intake, imo this is the most important detail in the skimmer’s performance, second would be quietness and power consumption.
For a sub $800 I would buy a skimmer with at least 600L/hr air intake, quiet and easy to clean, if the unit is more then a $1000 it must produce at least 1200 L/hr of air intake and would consume less then 90W or so of energy.

So disregard fancy names and marketing; check and compare the specifications. :smile:

albert_dao 05-23-2008 01:07 AM

EuroReef has seriously dropped the ball as a company. I'd look elsewhere :)