Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ande's 270'ish bar peninsula style tank build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64747)

andestang 05-23-2010 05:24 PM

Ande's 270'ish bar peninsula style tank build

Well I've been thinking about this for a long time and hopefully it won't take as long as the thinking part. But there is no rush as I want this done right. I've been collecting equipment for this for awhile so I won't have to sit there and stare at an empty tank for to long. Some equipment from my 150g with also be used (mostly because some stuff I bought for this build I just couldn't wait to use :confused: ) The dimensions are going to be 72"L X 36"W X 25"H roughly. Its going to be a peninsula style, viewable from 3 sides and bar style. I'm thinking of going with the beananimal style overflow as I want something silent as it's going in the main entertainment area. My 150g is in that area right now so I will have to sell it off before this goes in there. For water movement I'm stuck between doing a closed loop or using power heads such as MP40's. One isn't much cheaper than the other, but comes down to one main thing which I want to change with this set-up - be power consumption conscious ! As I get older I'm really becoming more green thoughtful :mrgreen:

mseepman 05-23-2010 05:46 PM

Looking forward to this...I'm doing a peninsula as well and my dimensions are similar to yours. Maybe if you go into Elite aquatics...they may let you look at the tank they're building me right now.

Dez 05-23-2010 05:51 PM

Nice size! I wish I had more width. I'm pretty happy with the height of my tank, but 36"!!!! Wow! I think closed loop or another option is the hidden Tunze Stream compartment. I've got design ideas in my mind on those. I hate the look of any visible equipment in my tank. There's also the hidden vortech compartment idea as well. :biggrin: Go hidden, you won't regret it! The only piece of equipment visible is the 90' elbow that goes back and forth at one end of my tank - and I don't even like that! It blocks light as well.

Funky_Fish14 05-23-2010 05:58 PM

Oh this is sounds like it'll be an awesome build!

Vortech will give you greater variability in flow over the closed loop so it probably would be best to go with that (and power wise as you said).

36 front to back IS awesome! I love 30" front to back on my largest tank right now... 36 would be just sweet!

andestang 05-23-2010 06:16 PM

Here's one of my first DIY projects as I love to build stuff. A water mixing station has been on my list of things to do regardless of an upgrade. I will change out the cans later with something a little more heavy duty, but to this point they have served me well. I have some heavy duty ones I use for our horses that I might have to steal later. I'll show a completed pic when its done.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/dat...m/IMG_1416.JPG

andestang 05-23-2010 06:19 PM

Right now I'm leaning towards the MP's as I have a new 40 ES laying around. I'll try it on the 150g to see if I like it enough. And yes I don't like equipment in sight either :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dez (Post 521198)
Nice size! I wish I had more width. I'm pretty happy with the height of my tank, but 36"!!!! Wow! I think closed loop or another option is the hidden Tunze Stream compartment. I've got design ideas in my mind on those. I hate the look of any visible equipment in my tank. There's also the hidden vortech compartment idea as well. :biggrin: Go hidden, you won't regret it! The only piece of equipment visible is the 90' elbow that goes back and forth at one end of my tank - and I don't even like that! It blocks light as well.

christyf5 05-23-2010 06:32 PM

Tagging along, can't wait to see this one progress :biggrin:

fishytime 05-24-2010 03:38 PM

Sounds like its gonna be killer Mike!.......not so patiently waiting:mrgreen:

lastlight 05-26-2010 10:45 PM

36" is so sweet man. I'll be following along!

lastlight 05-26-2010 10:48 PM

And while I'm thinking about it...you're Mike. What's with the Ande?