Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   how many times a hour should the water go through the sump? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62928)

golf nut 04-03-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInToronto (Post 507601)
I'd assume you'd cover the intakes with sponges.

Why?

Providing the diameter of the intakes is large enough then the velocity would be very little, what size tank are you wanting to get 10x turnover in? if all you want to keep is Nems then build another box out of egg crate and shove the PH or C/L intake in there.

mr.wilson 04-03-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 507604)
Half the problem now seems to be everyone going big display tanks and small sumps. Back when sumps were 1st introduced they were always as big or bigger than the display. Now I am seeing 75 gallons with 20 gallon sumps, which is much too small.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the challenge of fitting as much equipment as possible in a small footprint. If you have the space, always go for as much system volume as you can fit. You can pick up 500 gallon water tanks for a lot less money than the equipment it would take to give you the same water quality. Even daisy chaining a bunch of 50 gallon plastic drums and keeping them in a cool place works well as the flow rate doesn't need to be very fast... oh here we go again :)

MikeInToronto 04-03-2010 11:19 PM

That's something to consider for next time. I don't trust CLs and prefer propeller pumps with the included mesh right now. But it's not like the flow through my sump is that great anyway, maybe 2-3x skimmer capacity.

golf nut 04-03-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInToronto (Post 507613)
That's something to consider for next time. I don't trust CLs and prefer propeller pumps with the included mesh right now. But it's not like the flow through my sump is that great anyway, maybe 2-3x skimmer capacity.

You didn't trust Bill Burnetts overflow system until you tried it and now realize it is the best thing since sliced bread, oh yea of little faith.

MikeInToronto 04-03-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr OM (Post 507608)
Why?

Providing the diameter of the intakes is large enough then the velocity would be very little, what size tank are you wanting to get 10x turnover in? if all you want to keep is Nems then build another box out of egg crate and shove the PH or C/L intake in there.

It might not seem like it but my anemone 6-8" diameter was pulled into my sump through eggcrate; actually it migrated through the eggcrate on the OF and got pulled into the sump. I have a FIFO system in my sump as well as a filter sock so there wasn't much of a problem. The anemone was ripped up a bit but made it. Sponge and filter floss are the only anemone-proofs I've experienced.

MikeInToronto 04-03-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr OM (Post 507618)
You didn't trust Bill Burnetts overflow system until you tried it and now realize it is the best thing since sliced bread, oh yea of little faith.

Haha! But I followed it with blind faith anyway.

golf nut 04-03-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInToronto (Post 507619)
It might not seem like it but my anemone 6-8" diameter was pulled into my sump through eggcrate; actually it migrated through the eggcrate on the OF and got pulled into the sump. I have a FIFO system in my sump as well as a filter sock so there wasn't much of a problem. The anemone was ripped up a bit but made it. Sponge and filter floss are the only anemone-proofs I've experienced.

So how do you explain this comment? remember I have downloaded the whole internet and know who everone is and what they said :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInToronto (Post 507599)
. The OF is fine because it is easy to safeguard an overflow without losing efficiency. How do you get the flow up to, say, 10x flow without using PH or CL?

mr.wilson 04-03-2010 11:48 PM

Sometimes it's easier when I don't understand what someone is saying because I can usually assume it is something logical. Other times I give them too much credit :)

banditpowdercoat 04-03-2010 11:56 PM

Mr Wilson. If you were to use a single pass skimmer for a FIFO, how would you guarantee that the sump return pump equaled EXACTLY what the skimmer inlet pump was pushing? To be true FIFO, all the water from the tank drain needs to pass through the skimmer, just once. Then, the return pump pumps the skimmed water back to the tank. it would be next to impossible to match them exactly. Thats why a recirc would work better. A recirc doesnt care what goes into it for flow to make the bubbles etc. The slower the inlet flow, the longer the contact time the water has, because bubble production remains constant.

MikeInToronto 04-04-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr OM (Post 507621)
So how do you explain this comment? remember I have downloaded the whole internet and know who everone is and what they said :)

If you put a sponge below the rim of the OF you won't be disrupting the flow into it. That should keep anemones out and allow surface film to go in.
People tend to pick at minor details - I'm not referring to you or anyone else here - so I tend to add all the "exceptions" to my posts to avoid people dwelling on them. See? I just did it again and didn't realise it. I was just imagining someone reading that original post and writing, "The OF has intakes as well, you know." I wanted to avoid that.

Also, I didn't have sponge or floss on the egg crate when the anemone went over.