Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Porcupine Puffer ate my glass Floating Thermometer!!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58745)

christyf5 12-09-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletsworld (Post 471161)
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp. :biggrin:

What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate :biggrin:

manaf 12-09-2009 10:50 PM

hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!

Funky_Fish14 12-10-2009 12:11 AM

Hope Griffie pulls through! He'll probably be fine. I dont think the lead in him will cause enough of a problem, since it will be only short-term exposure. The glass, not so sure. It is fairly sharp. But I guess they can regurgitate no problem so?

If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation.

Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO. They measure the outside air temp/glass temp of the tank, not so much the water temp. Sorry to dissagree Christy? But tank's ive seen with those on, they always read differently than the in-tank thermometers.

Good luck with Griffie!

Chris

bulletsworld 12-10-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 471174)
I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?! :surprise:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer. :lol:

my2rotties 12-10-2009 01:39 AM

Guess you had better get a couple of Damsels for him to hunt... don't get Gobies, we know what happens to those already. He will never get damsels but maybe they will give him a hobby which he seems to be needing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletsworld (Post 471267)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer. :lol:

bulletsworld 12-10-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaf (Post 471199)
hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!

PHEW! Good to know. Glad to hear your tank suffered no ill effects as to todays date.

I'm glad Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) spit out the end of the red stick and ball, located in the glass that displayed the temp. Hmm... I don't think the red stuff can leak out, since I know my puffer broke it. I was right there and never seen red leak out. Hmm... now I wonder what the red tube is made of and if it leaks too? *scratching my head now* Never thought I would be researching every piece of a thermometer to see what its made of, after all these years of using one. :shocked:

Funky_Fish14 12-10-2009 01:48 AM

Oh I was going to add:

Dont kill yourself over it, but, I would probably try to get as much of the lead balls out as you can. After all, it IS lead, lol. But definetly dont suck up all your sand over it.

Better safe than sorry though, I think? :)

Cheers,

Chris

TrailFish 12-10-2009 01:56 AM

I believe that the red "stuff" is just coloured alcohol commonly used in thermometers (no problem with such a small amount). The beads as everyone has said are lead shot. The lead shouldn't be a problem at the pH of your tank (i.e. won't leach over time). (If your pH dips low enough to cause leaching you have bigger problems to worrry about :) ). My biggest concern would be the fish ingesting glass and if its still ok then the worst has past. Have you posted of picture of this monster fish?

bulletsworld 12-10-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 (Post 471229)
If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation. Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO.

You have a good point, perhaps I don't have enough water-flow going, I will look at that. With the floating thermometer, if I think to get another one, I will put in tanks drain box. That would work. Thanks for your feedback!

Marlin65 12-10-2009 02:34 AM

I would like to see a picture of this eating machine.:biggrin:
Hope he pulls through swallowing glass is not a good thing not at all like a snail glass is razor sharp. Good chance he will be okay but swallowing glass is nasty stuff.