Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Christy's 180 build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57667)

Mrfish55 11-09-2009 04:53 AM

Now thats a way to start a build, case of Vodka and start smashing down walls :thumb:
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Img_7530a.jpg

christyf5 11-09-2009 04:55 AM

LOL, I wondered when someone would point that out. Theres even more booze in the first photo! :wink:

Dez 11-09-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 462337)
I had originally planned on actually making the viewing pane smaller so that I wouldn't see various powerheads and the wavebox but eventually scrapped that as it would just make the viewing pane smaller than I'd like. One day if I do a custom tank I'll plan it better for that sort of thing. For now I need to experience the entire 6x2 fee

Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty :)

lastlight 11-09-2009 06:34 AM

The tough part is DONE. It's all fun and games from here congrats!

christyf5 11-09-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dez (Post 462342)
Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty :)

I did consider the external wavebox however, that would have to be a custom deal as I don't trust my own work and the tank is already assembled and ready to go. At this point if they broke the tank drilling it I would be SOL as I don't have the money to buy a new one (those days are long over sadly, hello mortgage payments!).

As well, I will be going with the same style of framing you have as I think it looks damned fine and I love the idea of being able to take the top of the frame off for access into the tank. However, I'll be doing my own thing as I've lusted after a full 6 feet for so long, there is no freaking way I'll be hiding 6" on either side...thats a whole foot!!! :razz:

I'm still working on the whole flush/recessed mount. Mostly we're trying to figureo out how the stand will work if we do go with a flush mount. So the wall will have to be beefed up, however I don't really want the stand as part of the wall and my husband is convinced that offsetting the tank on the stand will create new pressure points that won't be supported. Beats me, I just said it would be fine but he isn't convinced :wink:

Lance 11-09-2009 03:51 PM

Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room :cry:)
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.

Chaloupa 11-09-2009 04:13 PM

I'm so very jealous!!! Look at the size of that fishroom!!!! *sigh* NICELY done! Can't wait to see it.

And I gotta say I'm part of the Euro-reef loving club too. Christy picked me up a new RS250 also around when she got hers and it rocks. I love it and man does it stink!

lastlight 11-09-2009 04:19 PM

There are very few instances in life when something stinking is a sign of quality and performance. Gotta love this hobby!

christyf5 11-09-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 462416)
Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room :cry:)
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.

Yeah, thats where I got the idea from :wink:

PoonTang 11-09-2009 09:42 PM

Good job so far Christy. Keep it up.

christyf5 11-11-2009 03:44 AM

this ain't gonna be the prettiest upgrade

Took the trim off the tank tonight. Man, it ain't pretty underneath, guess thats why they covered it up with trim :razz: Oh well, once its in the wall nobody will notice anyways...for the most part.

Oh and the next time you see a "wow I'm upgrading with a used tank!" post from me please send me a virtual kick in the head. I was assured that this tank had "just one minor scratch that you really have to look for". I think the fish must have played kickball with the rocks up against the front glass, there are some major scratches and not just a few of them, some are widely highlighted by green algae. However when I went to pick up the tank it had already been drained and sitting for awhile. I think the back of the tank has less scratches than the front :sad:

Delphinus 11-11-2009 04:05 AM

Might not be too bad once there's water in there. Worst case scenario, if it's just the bottom, hope to heck that DSB's/plenums come back in style and just bury the scratches. Garden eel tank anyone???

christyf5 11-11-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 462946)
Might not be too bad once there's water in there. Worst case scenario, if it's just the bottom, hope to heck that DSB's/plenums come back in style and just bury the scratches. Garden eel tank anyone???

:rofl: yeah maybe if I put a 8" sandbed in there nobody will notice :razz:

yeah you never know, if I can keep the scratches clean maybe they'll be okay.

Delphinus 11-11-2009 04:07 AM

Or or or .. !!! Take a page from lastlight's "things I'd do different if I did it again" and cover the bottom few inches with trim or similar (tiles?) so that the glass is covered but you can still see over the lip and then the bottom. Might help with that whole BB tank look too. .. ?

christyf5 11-11-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 462948)
Or or or .. !!! Take a page from lastlight's "things I'd do different if I did it again" and cover the bottom few inches with trim or similar (tiles?) so that the glass is covered but you can still see over the lip and then the bottom. Might help with that whole BB tank look too. .. ?

I'd have to cover like the bottom 8" :razz:

Maybe I'll just pretend I have a child in the house and cover them with fish stickers or something :razz:

lastlight 11-11-2009 04:32 AM

Not the greatest news but I think if you're diligent with cleaning the glass it won't be too noticeable. This also isn't your last tank so don't sweat it =)

christyf5 11-11-2009 04:44 AM

Well Tony suggested turning it around so that the backside becomes the front. Then I just hide the overflow with drywall, put the wavebox behind it et voila! I don't get to experience the full 6 feet which blows but my god I HATE scratches in the glass, one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this. Gonna go inspect both sides tomorrow.

Lance 11-11-2009 05:00 AM

Maybe try filling the tank with enough water to cover the scratches and see how bad they are before you make up your mind as to what to do.

christyf5 11-11-2009 02:28 PM

yeah theres a fair bit of crap still left on the glass so i'll go at it with the vinegar tonight and put a bit of water in to see how it looks.

JDigital 11-11-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 462973)
Well Tony suggested turning it around so that the backside becomes the front. Then I just hide the overflow with drywall, put the wavebox behind it et voila! I don't get to experience the full 6 feet which blows but my god I HATE scratches in the glass, one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this. Gonna go inspect both sides tomorrow.

I remember a build thread somewhere on RC where someone did that. Covered the front ends of the tank with the wall, gave quite a cool effect when looking in as it looks wider than in appears at first glance.. If you know what I mean... I'll try and find it (like a needle in a hay stack)

christyf5 11-11-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDigital (Post 463108)
I remember a build thread somewhere on RC where someone did that. Covered the front ends of the tank with the wall, gave quite a cool effect when looking in as it looks wider than in appears at first glance.. If you know what I mean... I'll try and find it (like a needle in a hay stack)

Ooh that would be cool :cool:

christyf5 11-11-2009 11:39 PM

So today I came home from work, to this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/IMG_7534.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/IMG_7535.jpg

Wheeee!!!!!:Banane03:

Lance 11-12-2009 12:06 AM

Excellent!
Husbands sure are special aren't they?........................... I tell my wife this all the time.

lastlight 11-12-2009 12:45 AM

Haha too true. We almost deserve merit badges for some of the things we do. That's looking great!

Jason McK 11-12-2009 12:47 AM

WOW Congrate Matt Looks Great ;)

J

Borderjumper 11-12-2009 01:31 AM

Wow.. Matts gonna get sum tonight!:wink:

christyf5 11-12-2009 04:33 PM

So I've been working on this for the last half hour. Somehow I thought the plumbing would be more complex and I needed to ask you guys your opinions. Turns out its pretty simple but I'm posting my fantastic art anyways.

Yeah MS Paint! :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...nkplumbing.jpg

Jason McK 11-12-2009 04:47 PM

Ya it's fairly straight forward. You could be like me and over complicate it to the point of ridiculousness, but that usually doesn't work well :)

Do you need all 3600GPH from the Dart? If not you could build a manifold like CProwler to drive Phosban reactors, CA Reactors, Skimmer or what ever

http://www.zld.ca/reef/IMG_0062.JPG

Delphinus 11-12-2009 04:48 PM

I would move the beefier union to the inlet side of the Dart. Plus I like how you have stepped up the pipe diameter from the sump to the pump inlet. Clever thinking!

You may wish to find a smaller Wavysea though. That thing is taking up WAY too much space in your display!

christyf5 11-12-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 463485)
Ya it's fairly straight forward. You could be like me and over complicate it to the point of ridiculousness, but that usually doesn't work well :)

Do you need all 3600GPH from the Dart? If not you could build a manifold like CProwler to drive Phosban reactors, CA Reactors, Skimmer or what ever

http://www.zld.ca/reef/IMG_0062.JPG

Well I don't have 17 holes in my tank, just the one :razz:

No I don't need all the gph from the dart, I just figured what with the 20km of pipe from the dart to the tank I wouldn't end up with much gph left.

That manifold is pretty sweet actually. However, I like everything to run on individual pumps, I use more electricity and put more heat into the tank that way. Besides, frankly that thing looks too complex for me :razz:

apexi 11-12-2009 06:14 PM

Doing a 180 inwall is like having a car parked in your house longterm. There are may structural considerations that need to be taken into account. I consulted couple structural engineers when I was building mine due to the potential longer term impacts and also it being a part of a new house build.

For your tank stand, I would recommend that you double up on the posts and use some cross bracing just to be extra solid. It doesn't take much extra work to do, and when you're done the stand will be totally rock solid; an important consideration especially for any kind of inwall tank build. Since you're making the tank a part of the house, you want to make sure the stand is totally solid with vertical loads and resists any kind of potential lateral movement, such as what would occur in an earthquake.

If the tank is on the main floor (not basement), than you definitely want to take a look underneath to make sure there is proper structural support to prevent your floors from slowly sagging (has happened to people).

Best of luck!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ered/stand.jpg

PoonTang 11-12-2009 09:44 PM

Christy. Just make sure that when you do your plumbing you try to plan for the future. Adding a few blanked off T's to the drain and return wont cost you much and if you ever decide to add anything in the future (fuge etc) it will save alot of time. Dont forget a union in your drain system also.

christyf5 11-12-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoonTang (Post 463570)
Christy. Just make sure that when you do your plumbing you try to plan for the future. Adding a few blanked off T's to the drain and return wont cost you much and if you ever decide to add anything in the future (fuge etc) it will save alot of time. Dont forget a union in your drain system also.

Good idea, thanks for the tip about the T's!! As for the union in the drain, why and where to put it??

Lance 11-12-2009 10:22 PM

Christy, if you put a gate valve on the return line and the drain line you will have complete control of the flow. Also makes it easy for water changes, etc.

christyf5 11-12-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 463579)
Christy, if you put a gate valve on the return line and the drain line you will have complete control of the flow. Also makes it easy for water changes, etc.

Of course!! LOL, I had them on a list of plumbing parts I made ages ago. Looking at them this morning I was wondering why I had them on there. Thanks! :biggrin:

PoonTang 11-12-2009 11:23 PM

Put a union on the drain just below the tank incase you ever need to take it apart for cleaning or if you need to pull your sump or replace your tank etc. Have a look at the plumbing photo in my build thread.

fishytime 11-13-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoonTang (Post 463596)
Put a union on the drain just below the tank incase you ever need to take it apart for cleaning or if you need to pull your sump or replace your tank etc. Have a look at the plumbing photo in my build thread.

or you could just go with flex....like I did:wink::mrgreen:

lastlight 11-13-2009 01:53 AM

Black flex is the runner-up-sexy to grey sch 80. I condone the use of both.

christyf5 11-13-2009 01:56 AM

There will be no sexy plumbing on this tank build. Don't have the resources for it. :neutral:

lastlight 11-13-2009 02:15 AM

Oh yeah you want to have water in the tank in LESS than 1.5 years. I always overlook that =)