Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   which ro unit to get? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94)

FlameAngel 09-29-2001 04:30 AM

which ro unit to get?

I bought a Kent Unit from JL cuz at the time that was the only that was available. But, on the good side, I am very happy with it.

For Vancouver City water one of the three stage units is good enuf.

FlameAngel

canadawest 09-29-2001 04:45 AM

which ro unit to get?

PS... For reference:

ReefPure
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>ReefPure Tornado 4-Stage RO/DI 100GPD with a TDS meter - $150US shipping included ($240CDN) (includes flush-kit standard and all necessary installation hardware for under-sink, garden hose and faucet adapters)[/list]
Kent
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Kent Maxxima 4-Stage RO/DI 50GPD without TDS meter - $330CDN @ J&L Aquatics (does not include flush-kit [extra $21.95CDN], and only comes with garden hose adapter)[/list]
Seems to me that I saved over $100CDN (plus taxes), got a 100GPD vs the Kent 50GPD, a TDS meter, standard flush kit, and more installation options. Was a no-brainer decision for me.

Also replacement cartridges:

ReefPure
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>1 Micron Sediment Filter - $4.99US
<LI>1 Micron Carbon Block Filter - $9.99US
<LI>DI Mixed Bed Replacement - $19.99US
<LI>Replacement RO Membrane 100GPD - $59.99US[/list]
Kent
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>1 Micron Sediment Filter - $8.95CDN
<LI>Carbon Replacement Cartridge - $23.95CDN
<LI>DI Replacement Cartridge - $44.95CDN
<LI>Replacement RO Membrane 50GPD - $129.95CDN[/list]
[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: canadawest ]

Bryan 09-30-2001 02:52 AM

which ro unit to get?

My two cents worth.

I would question the usefullness of a RO in the GVRD. I purchase one years ago and before I did I contacted a lab and they stated that Vancouver water is very soft and relatively free of contaminents and dissolved minerals, they recommended a DI filter instead. During the spring and fall there is sometimes a peak in the amount of silica in the water. I decided to buy a Spectrapure RO anyways. there was little difference in quality of the output vs the input according to the TDS meter supplied. I have switched to a TWP and I get hundreds of gallons per cartridge.

-=Bryan=-]

canadawest 09-30-2001 01:50 PM

which ro unit to get?

I find my tap water is VERY high in phosphates, and of course there is plenty of chlorine as well in our municipal water, especially late in the summer and winter when resevoirs are lower.

I just figured I would save money in the long run, rather than lugging two 5 gallon jugs to Safeway once a week for RO water @ $2.99 a jug.

Bryan 10-01-2001 01:27 AM

which ro unit to get?

Yes, but you could save even more money by buying Tap Water Purifier (DI filter) and recharging the resins yourselves.

-=Bryan=-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadawest:

I just figured I would save money in the long run, rather than lugging two 5 gallon jugs to Safeway once a week for RO water @ $2.99 a jug.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

christyf5 10-01-2001 11:17 AM

which ro unit to get?

I'm interested to hear more about this DIY recharging of the Tap Water Purifier resins. I have one myself and thought I needed to go out and get a refill for $30. Since they are considerably more than that here on the island, how exactly does one recharge it and how often can this be done??

Christy [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

smokinreefer 10-01-2001 12:29 PM

which ro unit to get?

just though ti'd pop in, just so you guys know that i am following my own thread [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

FWIW i am using the TWP right now and have been for years. but i am currently using about 2 gallons a day for top off and the TWP is a bit of a hassle to use.

so i just want to look at my options.

but yeah, has anyone here recharged their cartridges? i sure would like to know how.
thanks

canadawest 10-01-2001 02:52 PM

which ro unit to get?

BTW, what is the output of the TWP?

Troy F 10-02-2001 12:18 AM

which ro unit to get?

Dale uses TWP and recharges them. The instructions are posted on reefs.org in the library.

Bryan 10-02-2001 12:46 AM

which ro unit to get?

Can be done hundreds of times. Instructions here
http://www.reefs.org/library/article..._instruct.html

and this is the recipe for the chemicals.
http://www.reefs.org/library/article...mann_chem.html

CAUTION the chemicals can be dangerous as they are strong acids and bases. Muriatic acid can be found in any hardware store, lye at the local Safeway.

=-Bryan=-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christyf5:
I'm interested to hear more about this DIY recharging of the Tap Water Purifier resins.

Christy [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>