Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   BC Interiors (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Camping in the Kootenays (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53605)

chris121277 06-22-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyB (Post 430120)
Unless something has changed, you're not going to find that up in that neck of the woods. We went up their one summer with a 2-year old. Ended up heading back out as soon as possible to a more southern BC location with nice warm lake/beach. :biggrin:

We are about 20 mins from the US border, so not sure were a more southern place in B.C. is......are you sure your talking about the same place?

chris121277 06-22-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muck (Post 430045)
Thanks for all the responses so far guys..

Chris,
We have a 24' trailer with truck. Would like a nice lake/beach (good for young ankle-biters), showers and flush toilets would be a nice bonus too. Provincial or private don't really matter.

Also debating if I should pickup a weekly fishing license for BC and bring my fly rod. Im not a crazy fisher nut but enjoy getting my line wet. :razz:

If your into Provincial campgrounds there is a nice one about 20-30 min's north of Nakusp called McDonald creek, the water will be alot warmer there then the Kootenay (it's on the upper Arrow Lake).
Or there's Syringa about 20mins out of Castlegar (Lower Arrow)
If you want to go to the realy good sites, check out the forestry site's (no showers or flush toilets thow)

StirCrazy 06-23-2009 02:51 AM

Ok I can't believe all the interior BC people who are neglecting to tell you the must see attraction, either they are not proud of being in BC or they just don't want to let the secret out of the bag.. anyways you have to take a drive to creston and take a tour of the kokanee breweries :mrgreen:

we used to camp overnight at the campsite right across the street every time we did an Alberta road trip.

oh don't forget to take a picture of the "Sask" crossing signs as you enter or leave town.

Steve

danny zubot 06-23-2009 02:59 AM

Kokanee! YUK!

Even worse.....Nelson Brewery. Unless of course you like dirty hippy beer that tastes like it was made from grass clippings. Hmm, maybe Kokanee isn't so bad after all.

robzilla 06-23-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 430252)
Ok I can't believe all the interior BC people who are neglecting to tell you the must see attraction, either they are not proud of being in BC or they just don't want to let the secret out of the bag.. anyways you have to take a drive to creston and take a tour of the kokanee breweries :mrgreen:

we can't be letting all the local secrets out at once :) we have to have some perks for living in the sticks :)

StirCrazy 06-23-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny zubot (Post 430254)
Kokanee! YUK!

Even worse.....Nelson Brewery. Unless of course you like dirty hippy beer that tastes like it was made from grass clippings. Hmm, maybe Kokanee isn't so bad after all.

haha, thats what I used to think also, now after living on the island for 20 years, I still like my blue, but Kokanee will do. I do like kootaney ale though...

Steve

EmilyB 06-24-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris121277 (Post 430192)
We are about 20 mins from the US border, so not sure were a more southern place in B.C. is......are you sure your talking about the same place?

Um yah...

map here:

Just look south Muck and go to Moyie...:lol:

http://www.hellobc.com/NR/rdonlyres/...n_kootenay.jpg

muck 06-24-2009 03:34 PM

Thanks for the map Deb.
We are headed for Nelson area so I think we will be ok.
*crosses fingers*

Where did you camp in Moyie btw?

Malibu 06-24-2009 04:45 PM

I believe there is beach access from that camp ground. The provincial park is a little pricey to stay at, but well set up. Syringa out past Castlegar is nice and the beach has a play area for kids, if I remember correctly. The Nancy Greene campground above Rossland, has a nice beach with play area as well, but that one is usually very busy, though as it's just off the highway. There is also a nice campground out past Trail on the Pend'Oreille river that has a nice beach. Also look into Christina Lake campgrounds. Depending on how far you're wanting to go, of course, there is LOTS of camping and outdoor activities in the area. Kaslo has some camp sites and some nice fishing. Nelson is a nice city to wander around in and has some excellent little bistros and restaurants. If you do visit the Castlegar area, there's a Dukhobor museum and restaurant that is well worth visiting. It's inexpensive and rich in area history.

**ignore the area tag under my name... I used to live in Castlegar** :wink:

danny zubot 06-25-2009 12:28 AM

I second the Christina Lake area, especially Cascade falls.