Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   worst nightmare 250DD blowout (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123244)

Myka 04-28-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 1013079)
For livestock losses you're out of luck, no insurance policy will cover livestock above the $1500 or so mark so unless you're already making a claim for water damage the insurance route is a waste of time.

My insurance policy covers "pets and pet furniture" up to $5,000. I didn't pay extra for this. I inquired in writing and received reply in writing confirming that the fish, corals, and even the live rock are all covered. I was surprised. :lol:

e46er 04-28-2017 02:31 PM

Hi
thanks for all those who PMed me offering to help in any way.
Ive found a tank to borrow, I will be calling the store today and see what they say-yesterday was crazy and I ran out of time.
I should clarify the glass didnt blow out, it blew a seal in the front right corner. when I was scrubbing it and cleaning it with vinegar and then Id hose it out once it got 2" of water in it it just started puking out.

Its in my shop so commercial insurance deductibles are high to start with let alone what it would do to future premium's I wont be making a claim. it didnt do any damage except to the stand cabinet work, and of course the livestock.

I haven't decided as of yet if I will continue in the hobby or not, this has been quite devastating this was hands down the nicest tank ive had since I started.

Im going to grab the borrowed tank make sure everything that survived is OK and ill go from there. I will post some pictures soon

sphelps 04-28-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1013111)
My insurance policy covers "pets and pet furniture" up to $5,000. I didn't pay extra for this. I inquired in writing and received reply in writing confirming that the fish, corals, and even the live rock are all covered. I was surprised. :lol:

Worth double checking if this is important to you but my understanding of what you're referring to falls under different context. For example, if your tank crashes and you loose all your livestock you're insurance company won't cover it. Same if your dog dies, they won't give you $5K for a new dog. In event of something more catastrophic they're simply limiting their liability to that category to $5K. So if your house burns down you can qualify for a maximum of $5K to cover everything (equipment & livestock) relating to the aquarium and other pets and related accessories. I have something similar in my policy and that's how it was explained to me. Any items over the generic amounts listed in the policy will require separate policies for full coverage but according to my broker there's no separate (home insurance) policy available to cover livestock in the context of an aquarium.

sphelps 04-28-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46er (Post 1013115)
Hi
thanks for all those who PMed me offering to help in any way.
Ive found a tank to borrow, I will be calling the store today and see what they say-yesterday was crazy and I ran out of time.
I should clarify the glass didnt blow out, it blew a seal in the front right corner. when I was scrubbing it and cleaning it with vinegar and then Id hose it out once it got 2" of water in it it just started puking out.

Its in my shop so commercial insurance deductibles are high to start with let alone what it would do to future premium's I wont be making a claim. it didnt do any damage except to the stand cabinet work, and of course the livestock.

I haven't decided as of yet if I will continue in the hobby or not, this has been quite devastating this was hands down the nicest tank ive had since I started.

Im going to grab the borrowed tank make sure everything that survived is OK and ill go from there. I will post some pictures soon

I feel your pain, I was in the same boat a couple years back and I originally set back up but later ended up shutting down. I find it frustrating that no tank manufactures qualify their tanks with proper hydro-testing procedures. The additional cost wouldn't be substantial on larger tanks and it would provide buyers with well received quality assurance that their tanks are free of glass & seam defects.

Myka 04-29-2017 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 1013129)
Worth double checking if this is important to you but my understanding of what you're referring to falls under different context. For example, if your tank crashes and you loose all your livestock you're insurance company won't cover it. Same if your dog dies, they won't give you $5K for a new dog. In event of something more catastrophic they're simply limiting their liability to that category to $5K. So if your house burns down you can qualify for a maximum of $5K to cover everything (equipment & livestock) relating to the aquarium and other pets and related accessories. I have something similar in my policy and that's how it was explained to me. Any items over the generic amounts listed in the policy will require separate policies for full coverage but according to my broker there's no separate (home insurance) policy available to cover livestock in the context of an aquarium.

Yes, that's it. It wouldn't help in OP's case.

You can purchase separate insurance that will cover livestock separately if you'd like. Such as a farmer insuring his cattle, same with a person insuring their fish. When I had the hatchery running I had them insured for I think it was $8,000. That was insurance that I could claim at any time, just needed dead bodies.

e46er 04-30-2017 10:17 PM

well Ive called the store they basically said to deal with the manufacter directly and " sorry about that ok bye"
I cant seem to upload pictures

e46er 04-30-2017 10:20 PM

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/att...1&d=1493590683
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/att...1&d=1493590719

Myka 04-30-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46er (Post 1013225)
well Ive called the store they basically said to deal with the manufacter directly and " sorry about that ok bye"
I cant seem to upload pictures

Wow, really? Not sure I'd be spending money there in the future! Was it a box store?

Upload to a photo host like Flickr or Photobucket.

e46er 05-01-2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1013234)
Wow, really? Not sure I'd be spending money there in the future! Was it a box store?

Upload to a photo host like Flickr or Photobucket.

[No, not a box store.]

smokinreefer 05-01-2017 04:33 AM

Man that's sucks.

And is frightening (as I'm about to set up a 300)

I suppose atleast it was in the shop... that is if it created less damage than if it was in your house.

Bummer.

Recycle, reuse, rebuild!