Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Water proof cameras (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92652)

lockrookie 12-17-2012 04:55 PM

Lots to think about curse you lol thanks for all the replies and options

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

somewherebeyondthesea 12-17-2012 05:01 PM

Fuji bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 774173)
Thinking of getting this camera any thoughts from you photo guys would be cool

Thanks in advance

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...599FFFE834.jpg

My girlfriend had an older model and it was awesome! I bought that one and have had nothing but trouble, the menu button sticks as well and now the shutter button works intermittently and that is the second one I got ( I had it replaced under warranty)

FYI! My parents had an Olympus and it works well!

Coralgurl 12-17-2012 05:09 PM

Are you going somewhere tropical or just looking for tank options?? :lol:

lockrookie 12-17-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 774258)
Are you going somewhere tropical or just looking for tank options?? :lol:

The only tropical place I will ever be at until the twins are older. Is my bathroom when I'm steam cleaning our fake Indoor trees and plants playing jungle sounds on my phone. Lol this is just tank related and possible with durability for the twins to take pics of their day as they wander around they love to play with cameras

Delphinus 12-17-2012 05:44 PM

I have a Canon D10 which is obsolete now but replaced by a D20 (which is smaller than the D10 and does HD video which are both nice things to have). What attracted me to the D10 was that unlike most underwater cameras which are good to 10' of depth, these are good to 30' (or 10m). It is essentially so good of a camera that it is my everyday camera (not just for when I go swimming or whatever). I'd say the D20 is totally worth a look.

The GoPros are great cameras but they are really meant to be worn, or mounted, to capture the "experience" of whatever it is you're doing. If you want to set up a shot then you need the backpack with a LCD screen and so on and the interface is really kind of clumsy (it's not really intended as an interactive camera). Don't get me wrong, I love the GoPros and what they have done to personal photography/video capturing of activities and so on but if you want a "look through the viewfinder/viewscreen and compose a photo" type camera they might not be the best tool for that.

They do have the wireless backpacks and iPhone/Android apps now mind you so that's pretty cool. If the intention is just to take tank shots underwater that might in fact be the way to go. Setup the camera on a pole or whatever and use your phone to see what it sees rather than craning your neck or using guesswork. :)

tim the toolman 12-17-2012 06:33 PM

I bought the fujifilm xp last year to go to Mexico and I got about 15-25 pics underwater and it fried. I just bought a new Olympus and it seems to be much higher quality and takes good underwater pics.

Delphinus 12-17-2012 06:48 PM

Oops, sorry, totally meant to put a link to the product description of the D20. Um .. better late than never? :redface:

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=13815

lastlight 12-17-2012 07:03 PM

I have the GoPro 960 Hero. You cannot shoot inside your tank with the included lens you needed (at the time) to buy a third party lens that had a flat front to it otherwise nothing was in focus.

The newer models might have fixed this I'm not sure.

rhody605 12-17-2012 07:10 PM

I love my Olympus Tough. Has a macro setting which I use for in my tank.

Under $300.
Waterproof, freeze proof, shock proof.
Very durable camera. And 12mp.
I bought it for my trip to Dominican. Worked great.

Mike

KPG007 12-17-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 774283)
I have the GoPro 960 Hero. You cannot shoot inside your tank with the included lens you needed (at the time) to buy a third party lens that had a flat front to it otherwise nothing was in focus.

The newer models might have fixed this I'm not sure.

I bought my GoPro this summer and love it. It's not the newest version that came out a few months ago, but the one previous.

I had wanted to use it for both in tank shots and for trips. Unfortunately, underwater, their focus is poor, so close up shots in tank are out and when I took it snorkeling in Mexico underwater shots were not very crisp either. That said, in open air, they are amazing! Crisp HD video. I enjoyed transition shots, going from air to under water was really cool.
These cameras are built tough and take excellent pictures and video for such a compact device, but underwater, their clarity is lacking.